Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Wonderful

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 19, 2009
So now that everybody has had a day or so to play around with Snow Leopard, what new features have you liked and disliked so far?

One thing I love is the new Dock Expose, as well as the new Minimize to App features. While both are nice, I feel however they are still pretty rough around the edges when it comes to actual UI integration. With that basic thought in mind, I was wondering what areas would you like to see smoothed out in the subsequent 10.6.x updates?

A clearly needed change is the minimize to app addition. The minimize to application feature is something Windows 7 does really well, and it is easy to understand why Apple would want to implement it. The problem is with 10.6, there is no way to tell what and how many windows you have minimized without going through and Exposing. With the dock already being 3D, I would really love to see some kind of visual representation, perhaps of windows stacked behind the App icon, of how many windows are open. All together, I think Minimize to App is a much cleaner UI than having windows show up next to stacks in the dock, though I'm sure some people disagree, and I would love to see the feature completely fleshed out.

Another thing I would like to see added is more contextual menus for applications when you right click (formerly hold to right click). I use the iTunes contextual menu all the time so that I don't have to switch to its respective place in Spaces, and I think it's really disappointing that most of Apple's first party apps don't even have options to choose besides the standard Quit and Remove from Dock.

So what changes would you like to see in 10.6?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.