Snow Leopard Address Book Problems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by shirtpocket, Sep 1, 2009.

1. shirtpocket macrumors newbie

shirtpocket

Snow Leopard 10.6. Address Book SELECTIVELY allows deletion of a multiple contact entry. The updating of the contact database, as as function of the installation of Snow Leopard, produces/creates/brings to your attention, multiples of some contacts that did not exist prior to the upgrade. Most duplicates or triplicates you cannot delete. Some will allow you to delete one but not the other. You can delete them using MobileMe or on the iPhone but not by using the Address Book.

2. mooman macrumors newbie

mooman

I have the exact same problem. It's really frustrating with a lot of contacts.

3. zakeen macrumors newbie

great apple problem

also i have the exact same, so why apple not to fix that, its great problem, so we hope to
    thanx for this site any way
    bye

4. philharve macrumors newbie

philharve

Address Book problem

Hi All

I, too, have recently encountered a problem with Snow Leopard and its Address Book which presumably resulted from a update. I thought at first it was malware on my MacBook Pro, then I accused my ISP for having malware on its servers. It was only when I used Mail's 'Previous Recipients' feature that I discovered another possible answer, one I had not expected.

For the past few weeks I have been receiving 'Delivery Status Notification (Failure)' messages from a former email account I cancelled months ago as a result of switching ISPs. I was convinced it was a virus or trojan at work but my Intego Internet Security Barrier X6 software could not locate it. The messages implied I was blind-copying 'some' of my emails to my former account which, of course, could not be delivered, hence the delivery failure warnings. I checked my email headers, both long and short, and the IP addresses of all nodes therein for signs of hacking but found nothing untoward. The non-delivery messages appeared to be genuine. What was going on?

Because I had ceased my former email account I had erased all references to it from my Address Book. I assumed that by deleting all references there was no way for my email client, Mail, to communicate with my former account. It seems I was wrong.

A couple days ago I was examining Mail's menu options for clues to the problem and I noticed the 'Previous Recipients' option. I launched it an inside the window that appeared was every email contact I had had since buying the laptop. Most important of all was the date of my last contact with the email address. I looked for the record relating to my former account and I expected to see a date indicating the last use was August or September 2009. It was not, the date was just 2 days ago, 2nd April 2010!!! I now had proof that my MacBook Pro was apparently blind-copying 'some' of my emails to my former address without my knowledge or permission.

I examined the data structures in Users/xxxx/Library/AddressBook and to my surprise found a reference to my former email address: it had not been deleted from my Address Book after all. I duly submitted a Bug Report to Apple.

I have not fully analysed what is happening but it would seem that when I select 'certain' names from my Address Book and sends the email, Mail additionally performs the equivalent of a blind-copy to my former account. All my messages are delivered to the intended recipients except for the copy to my former address. This hidden step produces the unexpected 'non-delivery' bounce. I initially thought this step must be the result of a virus or trojan because some of my recipients started to receive non-delivery failure messages too. However, I now suspect that when they reply to me, their email clients also blind-copy my former email address and they receive bounced messages too. Sneaky!

My initial investigation seems to suggest that my Address Book is at fault but that I might be responsible for its misbehaviour. Within my Address Book are 8 contact names which are almost identical, only the last few characters uniquely identify the individual contacts. The first name in this list, which was deleted about 6 months ago, was my former email address. For some reason my Address Book has retained knowledge of it even though it no longer appears in my Address Book. Worse still, Mail is using it but hides its use from me!

I would have thought that when a contact is deleted from the Address Book it is gone forever unless it is reinstated. This would not appear to be the case.

I have tried renaming my contacts but the problem persists. What I need to do is to instruct my Address Book to 'forget' my former email address, however, I believe this step should not be necessary, hence the submission of a Bug Report to Apple.

I would be interested in learning why my Address Book should remember - even after its deletion - the first record (name) in a stack of very similar records? I suspect it has something to do with contact searching and character matching and therein lies the problem. I have successfully used my stack of similar names for about 3 years without problem. I therefore conclude a recent software upgrade has a bug in it. I an using 10.6.3.

Regards

Phil