Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JavaWizKid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2008
Isn't Snow Leopard supposed to bring hardware acceleration better to the OS? I know adobe flash has never been good in OSX but it is worse in Snow Leopard! I use SMC Fan Control to keep my temps down but the temps rise so rapidly I have to go on 6000rpm to keep it below 70 degrees WTF! In Leopard it was fine on 3000rpm! This is standard definition we are talking about never mind HD!!!!! I'm using a 2.4Ghz Penryn MacBook Pro with an 8600m GT graphics card.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Isn't Snow Leopard supposed to bring hardware acceleration better to the OS? I know adobe flash has never been good in OSX but it is worse in Snow Leopard! I use SMC Fan Control to keep my temps down but the temps rise so rapidly I have to go on 6000rpm to keep it below 70 degrees WTF! In Leopard it was fine on 3000rpm! This is standard definition we are talking about never mind HD!!!!! I'm using a 2.4Ghz Penryn MacBook Pro with an 8600m GT graphics card.

Flash isn't hardware accelerated. H.264 is.

zwaldowski

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2009
Let's face it: Adobe is ****** at making Flash. It's now just as bad on OS X as on Linux and Windows. This is neither a deficiency of Apple or Snow Leopard. Complain to them.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
Let's face it: Adobe is ****** at making Flash. It's now just as bad on OS X as on Linux and Windows. This is neither a deficiency of Apple or Snow Leopard. Complain to them.

It's always been 4x worse on OS X than it has on windows.

Trepanator

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2008
Did you install the latest version from Adobe's website? I think the one that shipped with SL was kind of out-dated. I was having slowness and beachballs in Safari all the time (on a clean install) until I updated the Flash plug-in. Now it works wonderfully, or at least as well as Flash ever worked on Mac OS X.

By the way, does anybody know if Click2Flash has been updated for Snow Leopard? I usually use it to kill all the damn flash ads that trash my battery life...

bbotte

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2008
USA
Did you install the latest version from Adobe's website? I think the one that shipped with SL was kind of out-dated. I was having slowness and beachballs in Safari all the time (on a clean install) until I updated the Flash plug-in. Now it works wonderfully, or at least as well as Flash ever worked on Mac OS X.

By the way, does anybody know if Click2Flash has been updated for Snow Leopard? I usually use it to kill all the damn flash ads that trash my battery life...

Yes, go to their site you can download it. I did, works just like in leopard.

duykur

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2008
Flash is terrible on mac, I don't see a difference in SL. Programers need to make their programs work with SL's technologies to get better performance

rd261

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2007
Im just using camino to watch flash videos for the moment being since it uses less cpu than safari when using flash in snow leopard. Is not as slick and fast as safari but at least I'll have some more battery time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.