Snow leopard advantages of maverick ??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by twinsity, Feb 12, 2014.

1. twinsity macrumors member

I am going to upgrade MacBooks this year( later). But curious if I will have issues if I upgrade OS's to hold me over.. My mpc renaissance software no longer supports 10.6 so I can't get new updates for my mpc thinking of looking into upgrading my macbook OS?? I have a 17" 09 MacBook Pro 6gb ram

2. simsaladimbamba

Before you decide to upgrade, create a backup, preferably a bootable one via CarbonCopyCloner (version 3.4.7 is still free and available for download here and works with Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, Mac OS X 10.7 Lion and OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion) or SuperDuper!.

I have the same 2009 17" MBP and tried OS X 10.9 Mavericks, even 10.9.1 and it gave me hourly kernel panics with no obvious indication on the source. Others though have fared well, but I have seen several threads of 2009 MBP owners with similar problems and kernel panic reports.

3. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

Before upgrading, take a look at these points:
    - Snow Leopard is able of running a 32bit Kernel with PAE (can use more than 4GB of RAM with a 32bit Kernel). This configuration can be slightly slower, but it saves memory since its "base" length is 32bit. It's not a very good reason to not upgrade, though;

- If you have an older GPU AND you need nVidia CUDA (for programming or video/image processing), there aren't compatible drivers for Mavericks;

- You'll miss the old (and slightly better) Preview app, which saves more screen space and had a faster text anti-aliasing;

Don't remember other issues. Mavericks will give you better battery life and better memory management (ram compression). To me, these two features are pretty persuasive to upgrade.