Snow Leopard and ADC Student Developer

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Apollo33, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Apollo33 macrumors regular

I'm a student developer on ADC. I've read that in the past, students have received copies of the final version of the OS (like Leopard).

If I want a physical copy of the disc, should I change my subscription from download to mail? Or is Snow Leopard going to be separate from the normal monthly mailer?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

3. Apollo33 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not entirely certain that I will. I just know from reading past posts on here, people received Leopard as a part of their Student Developer membership. I already received a copy Leopard when I joined (they send a copy of the current OS).

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Hmm...I joined a couple days ago... Argh.

5. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I didn't get one... I did get a free T-Shirt.

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Do they ship an actual box?

Isn't it like a Welcome Kit or something.

7. Apollo33 thread starter macrumors regular

My Welcome Kit came with a t-shirt, the Oct 08 Dev DVD, and a retail copy of Leopard. It all came in one long box.

8. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

9. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Mine still hasn't arrived...

10. Apollo33 thread starter macrumors regular

Did you sign up for downloads of the ADC mailers? If so, that might be why. I didn't change my subscription to downloads until after the initial mailer.

11. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

One would think that they would just mail the welcome kit to everyone the same way.

12. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I used to have a student membership. I received the current OS (10.3.0) when I signed up, and the latest one (10.3.5 - they pressed new disks) when it was released.

If you've just started a membership then you'll likely get 10.5.x now (whatever the current pressing is) and 10.6 upon release.

13. kellygeorge macrumors member

not here

I joined back in february. I received a shirt (XXL of course), but no software. Maybe they don't do that anymore.

14. dmbfan41 macrumors regular

[​IMG]

as you can see. student accounts do not get the seed.

15. DAMNiatx macrumors 6502a

DAMNiatx

really ?

16. Apollo33 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah. I've known that for months now. If I'd been able to get the seed, I'd have been trying out Snow Leopard already.

I just thought I'd heard people talking about receiving OS updates in the past like what Nermal said.

But now I'm wondering if Apple will even do that, since new people with student developer memberships are claiming they never received a copy of Leopard.

17. boyneverstop macrumors newbie

Every Student ADC member will receive a Snow Leopard DVD free!
    but the only problem is when we can receive the DVD.:)

18. Inside_line macrumors regular

I joined in July and and got a "Kit" in the mail... it consisted of 2 things:

1) T-shirt

2) ADC Card - which states what's in your "kit":
    - Monthly Developer DVD
    - Hardware Purchase
    - WWDC Student Scholarship Opportunity

No system software or mention of OS. I would not expect DVD's of leopard or any OS to show up. Tiger was included in a monthly developer DVD, but Leopard was not, and Snow Leopard has not been in July or August's so far... I'd recommend just spending the $29 if you want Snow Leopard.

19. bonemusik macrumors newbie

When I signed up, the package I received in the mail said it included the OS X Leopard DVD but there was no software in the package. I e-mailed Apple and two days later the Leopard 10.5.6 DVD showed up at my doorstep!

20. Inside_line macrumors regular

When did you sign up? Did it say that on a little black card in addition to the 3 line items I listed?

21. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

When I signed up for my ADC student, I got the T-shirt, the big box, the little card that told me what I got, the dev software disk, and a retail copy of Leopard.

When I signed up a friend of mine, I got the T-shirt, the little card that told me what I got, and nothing else. The card lies now. You no longer get a copy of Leopard, but the dev software is available to download as a disk image.

22. Dysfnctnl85 macrumors member

Has anyone heard anything about this?

I'm wondering if should go purchase a copy or if it's going to show up in my mailbox...

23. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You don't get it. Not anymore, anyway. Before, you'd even get the current OS when you signed up, and if a new one came out during your tenure, you'd get that, as well.

24. Dysfnctnl85 macrumors member

Well at least now I won't have to worry about it mysteriously showing up in the mail -- I'll just go pick it up in the store.

I was wondering why there two different reports from ADC members as to what they received when they signed up. When I first joined, I received Leopard for free. When I renewed, I didn't receive another copy of the OS -- I attributed this to Apple being smart and noticing that I had already received Leopard.

Oh well. Thanks for the clarification!

25. Lavezzi macrumors member

When did this change? I was looking forward to getting my free copy of Snow Leopard.