Snow Leopard and Adobe CS5.5 on 2006 MPB-- What's the problem?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lockstitch, Dec 13, 2011.

1. lockstitch macrumors newbie

I've just installed Snow Leopard and attempted to download a trial version of an Adobe CS5.5 product, but an error message pops up each time I try to install it:
    "Adobe After Effects CS5.5 is installable only on a 64-bit system"

Forgive me, but wasn't Snow Leopard supposed to be a 64-bit OS? I'm missing something here. I'm of the n00b variety, so please help me with answers in the plainest language possible.

My computer is a 2006 1,1 Macbook Pro.

I've checked the stickies about 64-bit and Snow Leopard, and I've tried pressing 6 and 4 at startup to force the computer into 64-bit mode, but it has no effect.
    This command: ioreg -l -p IODeviceTree | grep firmware-abi gave me the “EFI32″ response.

Does this mean I'm screwed? Because my computer is a 2006 MBP am I not going to be able to use any new Adobe CS products, or any product that has to run on a 64-bit system?

If not, how can I force the computer to support those applications? ....Or is my only hope an eventual upgrade to a newer model? This is very frustrating, and I don't know if it's a user issue or a hardware issue.

2. simsaladimbamba

Your MacBook Pro uses a Core Duo CPU, thus you only have a 32-bit CPU.
    Check via :apple: > About This Mac > Processor:
    [​IMG]

Btw, Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard is not purely 64-bit, it just supports a 64-bit kernel. Lion is completely 64-bit and will not run on a 32-bit CPU.

3. chrfr macrumors 603

This is correct. It's a hardware limitation due to the type of processor you have. There's no way to fake it.