Snow Leopard and buying a laptop for college

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Dreamsh0t, May 8, 2009.

  1. Dreamsh0t macrumors newbie

    Apr 7, 2009
    I will be buying a laptop for college within the next few months, and I know that Snow Leopard is due out sometime around June 8th. My question is this. If it comes out on June 8th, does that mean I could go to the Apple Store on June 8th and buy a laptop and that laptop will come equipped with Snow Leopard?

    Thanks ahead of time.
  2. Sky Blue Guest

    Sky Blue

    Jan 8, 2005
    WWDC Keynote is June 8th. I would expect them to announced a rough release time frame for 10.6 then, but I highly doubt it'll be out then.
  3. beg_ne macrumors 6502

    Jul 3, 2003
    Like Sky Blue said, it seems unlikely that SL will be out on the 8th. I'm sure the keynote will preview some features and we'll probably get a more accurate release timeframe.

    After SL is finished Apple will announce a release date and typically they will release details on an up-to-date program.

    That means if you bought a Mac say 2 weeks before SL is on shelves then you can pay a nominal fee and get the DVD.

    If you buy a Mac the day its released it might not have SL pre-installed but you should get the SL DVD in the box for free.
  4. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

    Bye Bye Baby

    Sep 15, 2004
    i(am in the)cloud
    If you can wait, you will either get SL loaded, included or for a nominal fee. I am waiting for a new MBP with Nahelem and SL- perhaps even a better screen by then.

    Also waiting for Intel SSD price to drop again.
  5. wheelhot macrumors 68020

    Nov 23, 2007
    Yup I agree, it doesn't necessarily mean WWDC and Apple will release SL along with it, to me its likely they will just show us what SL is all about and how to take advantage of its changes/improvements. Furthermore Apple have a few stages before the OS is up for sale like how Leopard was.
  6. miles01110 macrumors Core


    Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    Either that or they'll give you a retail disc.
  7. neiltc13 macrumors 68040


    May 27, 2006
    I think people are putting too much weight behind Snow Leopard in their purchasing decisions.

    For one thing, there are still very few details, and the probable reason for that is that it just isn't finished, or anywhere close to finished. Buy your computer now, and even when Snow Leopard comes out it will still function just as well as before.

    Also, I can't see Apple maintaining the same price as they charged for Leopard or Tiger when they finally do release Snow Leopard. If it is as they say a "maintenance release" then they'd have a hard time convincing people to buy it if it was as expensive as the last releases.
  8. drlunanerd macrumors 68000


    Feb 14, 2004
    Agree. Also, what people forget time and time again is that Apple do not support old versions of OS X on new hardware. If you buy a Mac now, it will support Leopard and Snow Leopard. If you wait and buy a Mac that ships with Snow Leopard, there's no going back to Leopard if SL proves to have showstopping bugs, won't run your favourite software etc.

    Don't underestimate Apple's marketing though - I expect SL to be a full priced upgrade.
  9. JCastro macrumors 6502a

    Feb 12, 2008
    I also agree. The Mac that you purchase now will be able to take full advantage of SL. If you can wait then wait but if you want it now then get it.
  10. BayouBengal macrumors regular

    Oct 29, 2008
    I'd also wait as close to start of school as you can if you don't need the computer right this second.

Share This Page