Snow Leopard and Early 2008 MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Bluisnblklungs, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Bluisnblklungs macrumors member

I have an early 2008 MacBook White 2.4 4gb of ram I was reading up on Snow Leopard and it seems that its going to be 64bit will it run on my computer? is my computer 32 or 64 bit how do i know and what does this mean?
    Thanks
    Eric

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

If its Core 2 Duo (which your MB is) it's 64-bit.

3. uicandrew macrumors 6502a

Core Duos (like in 2006) are 32 bit (ie - the first intel macs)
    Core 2 Duo are 64 bit.

4. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

If you bought it within 14 days I would take it back to the apple store and exchange it for the new one that was released today. When they updated the macbook pros before (last year) I had just bought one within 2 weeks of the update and they exchanged it for the new one without the 10% stocking fee.

5. nickpro macrumors regular

does anyone have any speculation performance-wise in regards to how early 2008 or even 2007 macbooks will run snow leopard?

i know that they will be able to run it, but how it will run is the question.

6. uicandrew macrumors 6502a

anyone can speculate. i speculate that the next macbook will have 2 built-in optical drives, one of which is blu-ray. (sorry, just poking fun at the speculators, who seem to have nothing better to do with their time than to create new threads with meaningless speculation)

How it will run? via computer code

but if you're meaning to ask

How well it will run? go to snow leopard's page at apple.com and see how many technologies they mention apply to you.
    64 bit? check.
    Grand Central? check.
    OpenCL? maybe not a check. Nvidias graphics are supposed to have the best/earliest compatibility, but OpenCL is an open platform, so anyone (Nvidia, ATI, Intel) can program for it, but Nvidia has a headstart
    Quicktime X? read the asterick where they tell you the specs of the iMac they tested on.

see? a little legwork on your own could've gone a long way
    and none of this was meaningless speculation, it is based on "published" facts.

7. chewietobbacca macrumors 6502

On the GPU part: it depends on how OpenCL works. If it is like other GPGPU's and uses the GPU's shader tech to do so, the old Intel integrated graphics won't do squat

8. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Open CL wont apply to the normal Macbooks, and Hyrbid SLI wont either.

However grand central may make a bit of a difference

Leopard is already 64bit compatable.

9. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

?? DIdn't the MacBook just get OpenCL compatible bump? Hybrid SLI could allow external computation, though less likely. It might not have a smuch effect on a MacBook, but down the line OpenCL could easily apply a fair bit to Macbooks.

10. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

How exactly do you think Open CL would improve a Macbooks performance? The Macbook doesnt have a dedicated graphics card, so the Open CL config would have nothing to send the extra CPU work to, to be computed, so actually its not going to help the normal Macbook even 3%.

Hybrid SLI is for computers with 2 or more graphics cards, allowing them to work together (hybridly) so the whole argument doesnt even apply the the Macbook as it doesnt even have one graphics card.

11. nickpro macrumors regular

a large part of message board discussion is speculation. in fact, arent these the forums for MacRUMORS.com? and i'm aware of the published facts, i just wanted some thoughts/perspective from members here.

maybe using the word "speculation" wasn't the perfect word to convey what i was looking for, but i'm glad a few other members addressed my question without the sarcasm found in your response.

12. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

the 9400M is capable of 54GFlops according to nVidia, significantly more than a C2D

13. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

Your MacBook will run Snow Leopard with brilliant colors with the great nVidia chipset.:D
    Yes, it is 64-bit too.