Snow Leopard and External DVD burner

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Kirk, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Kirk macrumors regular

Kirk

My Superdrive on my 24" iMac stopped working some time ago. The optical drive just vanished, not showing up in profiler, Disk utility or anything. Then I got it replaced (they actually had to do it twice), but the new one only worked for a couple of days before it stopped working again.

Then I gave up and bought a USB2 Samsung WriteMaster external DVD-burner. It worked well for a long time, but now suddenly my external drive does not appear any longer.

Anyone else got problems with external DVD-burners not showing up when running Snow Leopard 10.6.3?

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Use System Profiler to check the USB bus and see if you're not seeing ANYTHING when it's connected, which would indicate a failed bridge board in the drive (or a bad USB port, but you can test that easily by trying a different device). If you see a bridge board listed, but no drive along with it, then maybe the drive failed--it's like a $25 component, so they tend to have an unsettlingly high failure rate.

Now, if it dropped immediately after installing 10.6.3, maybe there's a connection. If it wasn't immediate, probably just a coincidence, and I'd lean toward hardware failure as the cause.