Snow Leopard and Gmail Contacts

Discussion in 'macOS' started by raymondh, Aug 27, 2009.

1. raymondh macrumors newbie

Now that SL works with Exchange, does anyone know if Address Book will now sync with Google contacts without an iPhone (or hack)?

2. tiiim macrumors regular

I was wondering a similar thing since technically it should work with google sync..

3. GabooN macrumors regular

I'm hoping for the same. I got my mac recently and checked to have my address book sync but it only kept the phone numbers and emails for most of my contacts, it lost the photos, addresses and birthdays and other info. Not a huge deal, but I don't want it happening again and would like google to just sync straight to my mac for mail, calendar, and contacts. And then my iPod to continue syncing completely separately (though obviously the same info)

I had a thread a while ago asking and the person who responded said it should work just the same as the iphone/ipod but we might just have to wait and try it out to know for sure.

4. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

5. tiiim macrumors regular

6. 199708 macrumors 6502

I dont think I used excahnge to sync my contacts, so it only downloaded the contacts from 'My Contacts group" on the gmail server.
    Anyone figured a way for it to download all the contacts & groups into address book?

7. kepner macrumors 6502

The Sync with Google option in Address Book seems to be working for me, though I have no idea what the sync schedule is. Anyone have any idea how often Address Book syncs with Google?

8. Dias macrumors 6502

Everytime you connect your iPhone I guess.

But I don't like it: no groups, no birthdays. Google's services are based on open standards, I don't get why Apple don't embrace them.

9. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

That doesn't make sense since an iPhone is no longer required.

Apple uses open standards for it's Address Book data. What exactly don't they embrace? I've had problem with the Google sync in Leopard because Google continually makes automatic changes to the data which messes up the contact information in Address Book.

10. kepner macrumors 6502

No. That's what I thought at first, but I haven't synced my iPod at all with Snow Leopard yet, and my Address Book has been showing changes that I make on Google.

11. MurphyM macrumors 6502

I looked at my launchd configuration and see that this item has been added to run every hour now that I'm syncing Address Book and Gmail Contacts in Snow Leopard.

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/GoogleContactSync.framework/Versions/A/Resources/gconsync --sync com.google.ContactSync --periodic

That should make everything work on its own. I used to run it manually in Terminal under Leopard, I never checked launchd back then to see if it was there.

But I'm still seeing some quirky behavior.

12. grinny11 macrumors regular

yeah I read somewhere that the contacts sync on the mac every hour. If you click the click the circle with the two arrows on the taskbar up top and click sync now, it will sync immediately.

I have it working perfectly for me, except that when I set the picture for someone through apple address book, it shows a small picture on my iphone. If i do it through the iphone, it shows a large picture. Doing it through the iphone takes too much work since I usually use facebook pics.