Snow Leopard and Google Contacts

Discussion in 'macOS' started by THX723, Oct 21, 2010.

1. THX723 macrumors member

OS X 10.6's Address Book allows you to configure for "Synchronize with Google", is this a one time synchronization rather than a dynamic one? The sync settings don't seem to stick after you completely quit the app (via cmd-Q) or after a reboot.

Google's page offered little explanation of the syncing mechanism.
    http://www.google.com/sync/mac.html

My iPhone is setup to actively synchronize with my Google contact actively. I'd like to do the same with my Macbook Pro. Is that even possible?

2. reubs macrumors 68000

I think what this is for is for Google to sync back to your computer the contacts list they have on their server. From there, it syncs dynamically (at least it does for me).

As far as the settings erasing after quitting the app, I think that must be a bug. The settings actually stick, but it doesn't show up as being there. In other words Address Book still syncs with Google on my setup, even though the "sync" option is not checked on my end.

The syncing is not perfect. I still end up with multiple entries for individuals, and I have to clean it up every now and then.

I hope that helps.

3. THX723 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your feedback reubs. :)

You're right, after I made the post I did notice my net monitor showing Address Book periodically trying to sync w. Google service. It's not a push update, but a pop rather. The check mark not sticking is perhaps a bug as you've mentioned.