Snow Leopard and Mail.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by definitive, Oct 8, 2009.

1. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

I'm new to Mail, and was wondering how I can set it up so that it would check my emails (IMAP) automatically. I've set the account up, it's sending/receiving mail, but I'm wondering if it has to run in the background to be able to check the mail. When I click Mail (at the top of the screen), and then Exit, it stops checking, correct? How do I go about getting it to auto start with the system when I boot into SL so it will always run in the background?

2. robkat macrumors member

robkat

SL & Mail

Set up login items in :system preferences/accounts/login items.
    add applications.:)

3. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

You can also:
    - Close (hide) the Mail window (via the X) and Mail will keep running in the background and it should keep checking
    - Right click on the Mail icon in the Dock and select "Open at Login" (or Options->Open in Login) in SL.

4. Salmar macrumors regular

Why don't you just keep mail opened but minimized so it's out of the way? I keep my email open all day so it checks and notifies me when email is coming in.

5. definitive thread starter macrumors 68000

definitive

thanks, everyone. got it working where it auto loads on startup, but minimized.

6. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

You could also use a third party app that runs in the menubar and gives you a growl message when you have mail in your pop/imap account.

7. steverunner macrumors newbie

You can instal the mail widget and this will announce when you have mail. You can set the account and how often to check.

Mail does not need to ba open.