Snow Leopard and Power-PC apps

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iAlexG, Aug 21, 2009.

1. iAlexG macrumors 6502

iAlexG

I realized when i installed an app called Xslimmer (slims down apps) that i have a few Power-PC apps. Now it is only a few (Duke Nukem 3D is my main concern) the rest of my apps are intel and universal. Universal Binary apps are fine in snow leopard right?
    What about the Power-PC apps? Is there a way i could still use them when i upgrade?

2. MTI macrumors 65816

Here's a reasoned approach:

- Don't be a lemming when it comes to updates. As far as I know, Apple will continue to support Leopard 10.5.x with updates, so unless you really need Exchange connectivity or OpenCL, don't panic.

- Software developers will react to the market. Apple has made development of PPC and Universal coded software relatively easy so that the developers can still make money from current and legacy machines and OS's.

3. iAlexG thread starter macrumors 6502

iAlexG

I know that 10.5 will still be updated but thats not my question. I want to know if Power-PC apps will work in Snow Leopard? Is that so difficult?

4. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

There is rosetta included on the snow leopard disk but it is not installed by default. Universal apps are of course perfectly fine on snow leopard being that have Intel binaries.

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Rosetta is an optional install but it is available to run PPC apps.

6. devburke Guest

To repeat the above posts, but more clearly in case you don't know what Rosetta is (maybe you do, I dunno):

Rosetta is what OS X on an Intel Mac uses to run PPC programs, since they can't run natively. Up until now, Rosetta has always been installed with the OS. Now, in a continued effort to move away from PPC and slim down the OS, Rosetta isn't included by default any more, but it will still be an optional install for those that need it.

Long story short, make sure you install Rosetta when you install SL and you should be fine.

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

There is a chance you might lose a few.

Since Apple is drops support for some of the older libraries with each OS update, expect some of the older apps to die.

Either a refusal to open, or simple crashes.

8. iAlexG thread starter macrumors 6502

iAlexG

Thanks alot. Is rosetta a huge install?

9. Fishrrman macrumors G3

RE: Snow Leopard and Power-PC apps

RE:
    "I want to know if Power-PC apps will work in Snow Leopard? Is that so difficult?"

Yes, they do. As another poster mentioned, you must be careful to install "Rosetta" when you first install SL. I'm not sure if it can be added later on.

I'm using the old "Graphic Converter 5.4.1" (that was bundled into OS 10.3.2) with SL build 10a432. I've noticed that although GC 5.4.1 takes a little longer to load (mostly to get from double-clicking the icon to the splash screen), once running, it runs just fine.

If it works for one, it should work for [most] others.

BTW, I haven't seen this mentioned elsewhere, but build 10a432 seems to be working fine with Software Update. When I first installed it, no updates were available. Then one showed up (Apple Remote Desktop, I think). So I'll take a BIG guess that when other System Software updates for SL appear, they will ALSO appear for 10a432.

There have been ongoing arguments elsewhere in this forum that 10a432 was or was not the "golden master". I believe that it IS. Smooth, compact, fast, stable. I'm impressed.