Snow Leopard and PowerPC chips

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by eclipse, Jul 20, 2008.

1. eclipse macrumors 6502a

eclipse

Hi all,
    as I mentioned in my last post I might finally be betting my wife's G5 with the PowerPC chip... is Snow Leopard compatible?

2. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

still up in the air but probably not. I don't think it's confirmed that they're going to get rid of power pc, but I bet they will.

3. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

I think a big part of what they mean when they (being Apple) say they are going to use Snow Leopard to polish the OS X and make it as efficient as possible and build it a around multi-core computing is that they aren't going to pursue the use of PPC and Universal binaries any longer.

From a personal standpoint, while my Powerbook still runs Leopard pretty well, I don't think it'd do a ton better on anything that's got many more bells and whistles. I am going to try to wait it out for Nehalem and Snow Leopard before I upgrade. However, I'll probably keep my G5 around for as long as I can.

4. eclipse thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse

5. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

For some reason I think they are going to keep the PowerMac G5 rolling. I mean, the Quad is still a pretty nice computer and it is dual core. I can see Apple making the minimum requirements a PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8GHz or higher.

6. eclipse thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse

7. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Don't hold your breath. Apple need to drop the PPC at some point and something like Snow Leopard would be the perfect excuse. They will probably say something like "all the Universal Binary apps need twice the amount of code so we decided strip it out the bloat and focus on the Intel part, as a result Snow Leopard scrolls like butter."

I have a PMG5 (showing its age) and a rev A MacBook. The latter being pretty much only good for email and web stuff because the GMA950 chip is so crap. When snow leopard comes out (if I choose to upgrade) it will require me to most likely go and purchase 2 new macs. Nice!

8. eclipse thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse

Yeah, an lean, clean, OSX machine is what I think I want as well!

However, back to my PMG5 — Does Leopard itself run on a PowerPC G5?

9. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Yup. Im on a PMG5 Dual 1.8 and have no problems whatsoever. Apples minimum specs are:

A Mac computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5 or PowerPC G4 (867MHz or better) processor

10. eclipse thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse

Excellent... so when I get the 'hand-me-down' PMG5 and the wife designer-guru gets the new 8 core G5, we can both run Leopard? Wikid.

Then I shall upgrade to CS3 and become a Dreamweaver master! :D;)
    (In my dreams... as "Assistant Designer" I also get to mind the kids when they come home from school! :eek:)

11. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Just a note to avoid you getting confused in the future. The 8 core G5 you refer to is a 'MacPro' and not a 'G5'. G5 relates to the processor the machine uses. The MacPro uses an Intel processor while a G5 uses a Motorola processor called a G5.

MacPro = Intel. G5 = G5. :)

12. eclipse thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse

:eek::eek::eek: Thanks :eek::eek::eek:

(I'm so ashamed!)

(To wife after learning Dreamweaver)
    Me: "It has been many years since we last fought, I am now the master!"

Wife: "Only a master of G5 — Darth! You can never win. If you strike me down, my MacPro will become more powerful than you can imagine!"

13. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

A little birdie told me that you can't create 64 bit applications for the PPC G5 in XCode. Hint, hint.

14. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

I run leopard on a single 1.8ghz G5 w/ 3gb of ram and it handles like a champ.

But I think it's days are numbered as far as OS upgrades go.

15. eclipse thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse

Excellent!

PS: Just got a new hard-drive. How many times can we rename a disc? What does it affect? Is it 'bad' to rename a disc any time...

16. California macrumors 68040

California

Does that mean that the 64bit processor on the last G5's will not be able to run Snow Leopard?

Sorry so dumb.

17. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Universal apps may require twice the amount of HD space but thats because the .app wrapper contains both Intel and PPC applications and the correct one is launched when you double click the app. So eliminating universal binaries would not result in any speed increases, just HD space saved. There are applications out now that will remove the PPC or Intel code from universal binaries to save space although they have been known to break some apps.

Not necessarily. Developers like to be able to distribute applications to as many people as possible so they may have options available so that applications compiled on Snow Leopard can be compatible with prior OS and processors to maximize the install base.

18. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Don't apologise, but it means exactly what it says. Currently Snow Leopard only currently runs on Intel machines as well.

I was hinting that Apple now see PPC as a legacy technology.