Snow Leopard and RAM benefits

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by G.T., Jun 8, 2009.

1. G.T. macrumors 6502a

OK so I'm one of the people who got the 2.4GHz Unibody MPB when they were released. Now to my knowledge the 2.4 can have 6GB of RAM and run well but 8GB causes problems (plz say if u have successfully got 8GB to work). Now Apple have 8GB kits for the higher end models, though I remember some saying all but the 17" has problems running 8GB. What I want to know is (a) do the different models have different chipsets? and (b) if no will Snow Leopard allow the 2.4 mbp run 8GB with no problems (obviously we won't know exactly cause SL is not out just yet but then if my other question is true then an answer might be clear).

Also nVidia state the chipset can have 8GB. Could a firmware issue be the cause and is there any chance apple could release an update that address the issue?

2. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

i dont know if anyone knows for sure but my guess is that SL will allow 8GB in the original uni's.

3. G.T. thread starter macrumors 6502a

I hope so that would be cool, also I'm so happy $29 for SL if you have Leopard.

4. andrew upstairs macrumors 6502

The answer to your first question is yes, they have different chipsets.

5. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

to tell you the truth that was the news that made me the happiest haha.

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Yeah, when I read that I let out a loud "yes"!. Even if with the anticipated upgrades, I knew I wasn't going to go out and get the latest and greatest. Not an iPhone user so didn't really care about that (but it was underwhelming TBH). Seeing what Snow Leopard is going to bring and a price of $29, truly awesome since I already made myself accept that I would have to pay full retail for SL.