Snow Leopard and Screen savers

Discussion in 'macOS' started by random man5, Aug 29, 2009.

1. random man5 macrumors newbie

random man5

None of my 3rd party screen savers and working after installing snow leopard. I used to use fenetres volantes but when i try and select it i get the message:

"You cannot use the Fenetres volantes screen saver on this computer. Contact the developer of this screen saver for a newer version."

Are there any good screen savers that work on snow leopard?? And why are old screen savers not working on snow leopard?

2. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

I believe it's because System Preferences is running as 64-bit, and plugins must have the same architecture as the host application, so if the host app (System Preferences) is 64-bit and the plugin is not, then it will fail to load.

3. LurkingIowan macrumors member

LurkingIowan

I'm having the same issue with Electric Sheep. I'm sure that the developers just need some time to update the software, no worries. I've just switched to a default Apple screensaver for now. All in all, if this is our biggest issue with an OSX upgrade, I'd say we have it good.

4. ChrisM6484 macrumors newbie

Same here

Used to use Fliqlo (clock screensaver) and got a message after the Snow Leopard install that told me it wouldn't work anymore. Tried about 4 different other clock screensavers and couldn't find any that work.

Agreed, it's not that big of a deal, but it's still kind of annoying.

5. treelover3 macrumors newbie

Apple screen saver no longer works after SL install

Hi all,
    I've read where third party screen savers no longer work after SL is installed, but my apple-built-in screen savers no longer work. I set the screen saver start-time to 5 minutes and if I leave for 10 minutes the screen saver has still not started when I return to the computer.

Is anyone else having this problem, also? Anyone know how I can correct this?
    Thanks

6. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Does it work if you log in as a different user?

7. tnsmart macrumors 6502

I opened System Preferences in 32-bit mode and was able to set my third-party screen savers, but after I activated them, this floated around on the screen acting like a screensaver:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

8. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Jamie Zawinski, developer of Xscreensavers, comments on the reasons for this in his usual understated style. :rolleyes:

Basic problem is screensavers in OS X are actually dynamically loaded code that gets added to the screensaver engine. Since that engine is 64 bit in Snow Leopard, all the old screensavers won't work - you can't add 32 bit code into a 64 bit running process.

He also rants regarding why this whole design is rather, um, sub-optimal.

9. z1ross macrumors newbie

10. phalewhale macrumors 6502a

phalewhale

Just downloaded this and noticed some weird activity... When I start the screen saver, and return to my desktop, everything is noticeably brighter. It's like the screen becomes much more saturated. Is this a known problem? It only happens after running red-pill!

11. bmorris macrumors 6502

bmorris

This is ridiculous!!!
    Hardly an third party screen savers work with 10.6, this is stupid!

12. bmorris macrumors 6502

bmorris

If there's been two SL updates and no fix, is there any solution?!

13. mac2x macrumors 65816

What a jackass. :rolleyes:

Anyhow, yup, screensavers must be 64-bit now due to changes in the screensaver engine.

You also must have the 10.6 SDK to compile them as such, which pretty much means Snow Leopard + Xcode 3.2.

14. Mumstalker macrumors member

I'm Using right now one with fractals, wich do works. :p i got it from the apple website to replace my Fenetres, one that died with SL. It's Bollocks that i can't even use my bloody screensaver. Anyway the Fractals one is an ace xD

15. mac2x macrumors 65816

Ooooo...which one is it? I love fractal screen savers. :) Gotta know if I have it or not.

16. BulletToothTony macrumors 6502

BulletToothTony