snow leopard and time machine

Discussion in 'macOS' started by arpiuk, Sep 13, 2009.

1. arpiuk macrumors newbie

Since upgrading to SL, time machine keeps backing up data of around 30MB each hour, even if I did not make any changes to my data (only watching live streaming). Does anyone know what changes happen that it's always around 30MB?

You may ask why does it bother me? Well, having a Macbook Air, everytime Time Machine kicks in, so do the fans and the noise is pretty annoying.

Is this 30MB normal with everyone, or should I be worried?

thanks

2. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

My guess would be that to back up the current state of your machine it has to back up some of the swap files. Honestly I have no idea, I only use TM with manual settings, but that would make sense to me...

3. tooz macrumors 6502

probably just some system files. 30MB isn't that much in todays terms. to put it in perspective, it is 0.00003TB of data, or 0.003% of your drive

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

use TimeTracker to see what Time Machine backs up. my guess is its just something in your user or main Library folder like caches or something.

5. arpiuk thread starter macrumors newbie

yes, I know it's a minuscule amount of data. Like I said, it's the fans that bother me.

Question: does it happen to everyone who has SL installed? Certainly did not have this on 10.5

arpiuk