Snow Leopard and Time Server requests

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MacBandit, Sep 6, 2009.

1. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I have been having somewhat sketchy network problems since upgrading to Snow Leopard the biggest one is that large updates to Time Machine fail with a network error. So I have been doing some digging and I noticed on my stats at OpenDNS that since installing Snow Leopard the requests to time.apple.com have gone from 175/day (already more than necessary) to 1745/day. Also the requests made by OpenDNS updater to myip.dnsomatic.com have gone from 36/day to 1462/day.

Has anyone else noticed these sorts of problems? Clearly there must be something wrong within Snow Leopard to cause this.

2. stuarthatto macrumors regular

My stats at OpenDNS show no difference since my upgrade - sorry...

3. chrismny macrumors newbie

Networked Time Machine Backups Failing

I have 3 machines (all modern architecture -1 MacBook, 1-MacBook Pro and 1-iMac 24"). I have 2 Drobos, one of which is the TM Drobo. That is attached to an Airport Extreme Base Station.

I have been doing networked TM backups for many months.

Suddenly, after upgrading to SL, all of the backups have started croaking with network errors. These errors eventually result in the sparsebundles becoming corrupt, thus killing many months' of backups.

I am beyond furious. :mad:

I know someone with a Time Capsule. No problems.

Things that make you go hmmm...

4. thestaton macrumors 6502

I'm having similar problems. I keep getting websites like reddit.com that are failing to show up. I'm going to try going back to the ISP dns servers for a day to see if it makes a difference.

5. MacBandit thread starter macrumors 604

MacBandit

Update

Yesterday I ran Yasu (permission, prebinding, cache cleanup, nightly tasks, etc.) and I disabled the option to update the computer time from a time server. I also installed the new OpenDNS alpha version.

I then chose opened up my time machine backup that's connected to my AE in the finder and chose to delete the entire backup folder. I've had problems with the backup size and want to start fresh. When I tried doing this several times over the last few days it would fail with a network error within a half hour or so. Well this time it finished. Now I'm attempting to do an initial backup of 250GB over wireless. I'll let you know if it completes. I know if things are working correctly that it should be able to do this because I've done this with Leopard without issue in the past.