Snow leopard and wd mybook world

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MyRomeo, Jan 29, 2012.

1. MyRomeo macrumors 6502

MyRomeo

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Hey,

I hope u can help, I've just got my first mac, literally yesterday! It's a 2008 20 inch iMac (2.66ghz, 2gb ram) with the latest version of snow leopard, have not put lion on yet.

I have a 1tb wd mybook world networks attached hard drive that I've used with my windows pcs for years.

So yesterday I plugged the mac in, connected to my wifi an opened finder, straight away it sees my network drive, open it, put in login details and voila, browsing files in no time, very impressed!

That is until today, I powered the mac up an it can not connect. It can see the drive but trying to connect it just says connection failed. I've deleted the login details from my key thing and retyped them, nothing.

I can access it fine on my windows laptop but the mac refuses to connect.

I didn't change anything since yesterday, I don't know how to yet!

Can anyone advise please? Need to be able to use the drive as all my iTunes media is stored on it!

Help?!

2. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

I might be wrong on this one, but the WD drive might have been formatted into NTFS since you used it on Windows.

With OS X, you can't read NTFS read/write unless you enable it. There are many ways to do this, which one you choose is up to you.

1. You can format the drive into HFS journaling (for Mac), but this may neglect your Windows machine. You can use exFat, which can be read natively by both I believe. Still requires you to format the drive and you'll lose any data on it.

2. Install a NTFS reader/mounter.
    2a. Freeware versions. NTFS-3G is an open source app that hides in the preference pane. You install it and that's it. It should mount/read/write to NTFS drives easily. http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/24481/ntfs-3g

This version doesn't have Lion support yet. You need Fink or Macports to install the latest version of NTFS-3G. http://www.tuxera.com/community/ntfs-3g-download/

2b. Payware version. Paragon and Tuxera do the same, but you pay for extra enhancements that NTFS-3G for Mac doesn't have. FYI, Tuxera was NTFS-3G. They decided to start a company and offer a free community version and their paid version with enhancements.

2c. Try this hint from OS X hints. http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20090913140023382

I've never tried that hint before. I use the free version of NTFS3g. It's outdated, but it works. Last update was in 2010 unless you like to compile software via Fink/MacPorts. Those versions are up to date, with the last stable update Jan 22, 2012.

Hope this helps.

3. MyRomeo thread starter macrumors 6502

MyRomeo

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Hm never even thought of the format. Makes sense as I noticed a USB hard drive I have will read but I can't write to it.

The network drive probably is ntfs but it worked fine on these yesterday, why would it decide today to not work? It supports afp and its enabled?

4. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

Honestly, I have no idea. Maybe there was an update (either on the iMac or WD) that broke something?

5. MyRomeo thread starter macrumors 6502

MyRomeo

Ok so I found a way to resolve the problem. I still can't browse via shared in finder but can access everything fine.

On finder picked go, connect to server. Then. I typed smb://servername and added it to the login items. It now mounts the shared folders at login and can connect no problem, I have managed to add my iTunes library back which is stored on the nas.

Happy times