Snow Leopard anomaly

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Bill P., Sep 1, 2009.

1. Bill P. macrumors regular

Bill P.

After installing SL on my iMac (2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo) the electricity in my neighborhood blinked on and off two times. Normally all I have to do is hit the power switch on the back of the iMac and it boots right up. Not so now. On both occasions I needed to unplug the power cord and plug it back in. The power switch then worked just fine.

I hope Apple fixes this little inconvenience....

Bill

2. Steve686 macrumors 68020

Steve686

3. Bill P. thread starter macrumors regular

Bill P.

I don't really need a UPS. I can live with this glitch but it is still a glitch that needs fixing...

4. Cinder6 macrumors 6502

Cinder6

Pretty sure that's a feature. It's so that your computer won't keep trying to boot up, only to have the power flicker again, which can cause hardware damage. It's a good thing.

5. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I noticed this the other day. We must have had a power outage some time while I was at work, because my iMac was turned off when I came home. I pressed the power button on the back and nothing happened.

This freaked me out. I thought my iMac was broken. I checked the cord to see if it was plugged in... it was. Finally, I decided to unplug it, and then plug it back in. WHAMMY! My iMac turned on.

6. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Not sure why anyone wouldn't get at least a small UPS for their system. Most people think a UPS is only good for keeping the system up and running with no power. To me, the most important part of a UPS is the protection from the power blips/cut outs/surges.

Computer's don't like to be turned off un-gracefully....especially if the system is writing out to disk.

Why not get a low end UPS to never have to worry about it anymore. You don't need it to run the system for more than a few minutes (so you can save and sleep/turn it off).

Plus the built in Energy Saver is OS X can shut the system down or sleep if for you if you aren't around.

Just my 2 cents.

-Kevin