[Snow Leopard] any way to tweak Time Machine schedule

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kiranmk2, Oct 15, 2009.

1. kiranmk2 macrumors 6502a

kiranmk2

I used to have utility to make Time Machine back up every 6 hours rather than every hour under Leopard. Under Snow Leopard, Time Machine always seems to back up every hour and when I wake my Mac from sleep. Are there any good apps out there to stop the waking backups and allow me to configure the backup schedule?

2. Matthewlee macrumors newbie

3. Sam Yikin macrumors regular

4. Dewdman42 macrumors member

Apparently also you can play around with the launchd configuration for TimeMachine, but so far I haven't been able to find the TimeMachine plist in there.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

/Library/Preferences/com.apple.TimeMachine.plist
    /Users/username/Library/Preferences/com.apple.TimeMachine.plist

By the way, what's wrong with using Time Machine Editor, as Sam Yikin suggested?

6. Dewdman42 macrumors member

I'm also trying to adjust the schedule on snow leopard and timeMachine Editor didn't seem to stick. Can anyone confirm that really for sure works on 10.6? Do you have to reboot or something to see the effects of it?

7. Dewdman42 macrumors member

ok never mind. Time Machine Editor(after 2.5) does what it does by taking over scheduling of Time machine. So basically when you use it, you are supposed to TURN OFF time machine from system prefs. Which I guess only turns off the scheduling of it, but the schedules created by TimeMachineEditor will still kick off when you told them too, supposedly. I have to test this now.

Anyway, the key is use TimeMachine Editor and turn off the switch in system prefs for time machine.