snow leopard apache segmentation faults

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by racemize, Aug 31, 2009.

  1. racemize macrumors member

    Jul 2, 2007
    I've upgraded my working apache / ruby mac mini to snow leopard and then installed the optional xcode from the disc. my localhost is no longer working and I'm getting several of these from the apache log file:

    [Mon Aug 31 08:16:21 2009] [notice] child pid 240 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)

    any ideas/help?

  2. wesg macrumors regular


    Jan 2, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    I just upgraded this evening, and my localhost does not work either. From Safari, the error is "server unexpectedly dropped the connection".

    Hopefully there's a fix out there.
  3. kyledecot macrumors newbie

    Jun 18, 2009
    I am also getting the " because the server unexpectedly dropped the connection" message. I am using MAMP & CakePHP for my local development and some of the pages load fine but most I get the message.
  4. umbrellacorp macrumors newbie

    Sep 10, 2009
    also getting the same errors in the apache log:
    [Thu Sep 10 18:30:19 2009] [notice] child pid 1544 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)
    [Thu Sep 10 18:30:20 2009] [notice] child pid 1546 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)
    [Thu Sep 10 18:30:20 2009] [notice] child pid 1545 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)
    [Thu Sep 10 18:30:23 2009] [notice] child pid 1547 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)

    any updates on this?
  5. keithnorm macrumors newbie

    Sep 19, 2009
    Something is breaking in your httpd.conf file or any of the files that are being included. For me, it was because I had Passenger (mod_rails) installed, but after the upgrade, the new version of apache didn't have the passenger module istalled, but I still had the passenger settings in my httpd.conf file. Tail your apache error log: tail -f /private/var/log/apache2/error_log
    and then stop and start apache to see if any errors are thrown.
  6. gipsons macrumors newbie

    Sep 23, 2009
    Fix for Apache in Snow Leopard

    I had pretty much the same problem after upgrading to Snow Leopard. In my case the segmentation faults appeared upon accessing Tomcat webapps from Apache2 using the mod_jk connector. On exploring the Apache2 installation I found that most (all?) of the modules in /usr/libexec/apache2 showed up as zero K files. While making backup copies of this directory using tar, I noticed that the tarball included a file with the prefix ._ for each module, in addition to the mod files, and these ._ files had the appropriate file sizes. I think these are "resource forks". I was not successful in converting them to "data forks" type files. So I did a fresh install of Snow Leopard on a backup drive, after deleting the /usr/libexec/apache2 directory. Then I tared this directory and copied it to my main drive where I untared it in /usr/libexec. After recompiling mod_jk on Snow Leopard the problem appears to be fixed. Perhaps the problem stems from the reported new implementation of file types in Snow Leopard (apparently introduced in Leopard). Anyway, this worked for me.

Share This Page