Snow Leopard Archive and Install missing?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bigboy99, Nov 16, 2009.

1. bigboy99 macrumors 6502

Is this feature no longer part of the OS? This, combined with the ability to save user prefs has been a lifesaver in previous OS versions.

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

This is the standard option when installing Snow Leopard. Pop the disk and it will run an archive and install.

3. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

No, it's not.

4. bigboy99 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well... I was about to say what a good idea. I have searched this forum, but found nothing for SL and A/I.

5. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

At some point during the dialog boxes prior to install there is a box that says "Customize" or something like that, I think it's under there.

6. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Ok its not an exact archive and install, its replacing the Leopard Files with Snow Leopard files. (in a very basic form)

If you want to do a true Archive and Install then follow these instructions.

I have never done this, I just let Snow Leopard do its thing.

7. bigboy99 thread starter macrumors 6502

This option merely let's you choose Rosetta, languages, etc. Not the same as Leopard install options.

8. bigboy99 thread starter macrumors 6502

I want to know if Apple has made it possible to reinstall SL without losing all of my prefs (as in A/I). I do not have the computer skills or interest to go through the terminal scenario. An A/I is what Apple Care has recommended to me in the past when nothing else solved a problem. What now? Without the ability to easily restore a previous system user prefs it's as lame as Windows XP. Is Time Machine the only solution? I've had problems with TM doing an email restore.

9. Kat King123 macrumors regular

Kat King123

You can try migration assistant i know it will restore you system preferences because i have used it before

10. bigboy99 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have used MA to move my prefs, etc from my G4 to my MacBook Pro, but if I do an new install on my MBP from the DVD will there be any data to migrate?

11. bigboy99 thread starter macrumors 6502