Snow Leopard as primary OS

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mark2000, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Mark2000 macrumors regular

Mark2000

I'm getting a new 17"er soon and I've got a blank 7200rpm drive waiting for it. With all this freshness I want to put something really new in it. Naturally, with the new SL beta out I'm considering it. I do a lot of heavy graphics work, though, and I'm wondering how wise it is. Windows Betas aways seem usable day to day, I imagine Os X would be better. Any opinions?

2. Trip.Tucker Guest

You want to do production work on a beta OS?!?

3. Mark2000 thread starter macrumors regular

Mark2000

If its solid, why not? I miss my bleeding edge pc days a bit.

4. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

I won't recommand you for now. Many reports that Snow Leopard is still unstable.

But even with that, SL beta isn't available to the random consumer. Only ADC members can download it from the official seed. You'll have to torrent it, and with the recent trojan infection that happened with other trojan, I don't think it's really wise.

5. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

How do you know if a beta is solid? How do you know if an official release is solid? You can do whatever you want, just back up your data.

6. lazydesi macrumors 6502

i won't recommend to install SL on work machine until it's offcial release

7. PeterKG macrumors 6502

No, you really can't just do what you want. Unless you are an ACD, or a seed tester, you have not been issued the OS. If you had, you wouldn't be asking here, because you would have agreed to the NDA.

8. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Besides, how would you go and make it work on a unibody? The latest seeds don't work with the unibody units

9. Mark2000 thread starter macrumors regular

Mark2000

There's the kind of info I was looking for. Thanks for the heads up.

Edit: Actually it seems like 10A222 didn't work with the keyboard. I'm not sure the new 10A261 has the same problem.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I believe most -- not all -- of the people clamoring for Snow Leopard have no idea what to expect from it. They just want it because it's newer than Leopard, but they don't have a clue what it will do for them.

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yeah I'll be using Snow Leopard as my primary OS—when it's freakin' official!

12. ceezy3000 macrumors 6502

ceezy3000

where is the SL beta, its not on the ADC site? or at least i havent seen it

13. Mark2000 thread starter macrumors regular

Mark2000

Most reviews say its smaller and much faster than Leopard. Isn't that enough reason to be interested?

14. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

I wouldn't recommend using a Beta OS as your Main.

I believe Apple do not release Patches for the Operating System if your using a Beta version (Unless the Software Update program is the subject of a builds test notes) which means if a big problem is discovered you may have to reinstall a new version which could become tiresome as time progresses.

Snow Leopard is not far off I genuinely believe we are looking at a June or July release. Add on to this that normal Leopard is pretty good as is I think you can wait.

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

But they're reviewing something that isn't released, and you have no idea how the finished product will compare to the current beta. Sure, a Lamborghini is fast, but I'd wait till they have it all bolted together and road-tested, before I'll put my butt in the driver's seat!

16. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

There's a good reason why many production machines are still running 10.4.x...

It's really not smart to be bleeding edge on production machines.

17. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Are you an ADC Select/Premier member?