Snow Leopard Automator Bugs?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by VTECaddict, Sep 26, 2009.

1. VTECaddict macrumors 6502

In Leopard, I used an Automator workflow to batch resize images.

I found out that SL uses "Services," so I'm trying to recreate my old workflow as a service. A couple problems I've discovered:

The new "Filter Finder Items" action in SL no longer has the option to filter by "does not contain".

Also, the "New Folder" action gives an error and breaks the workflow when the folder already exists. In Leopard, the workflow would just continue and use the existing folder. I tried to go around this by using the "Move Finder Items" to the folder, but of course that gives an error and stops the workflow when the folder does not already exist.

Here is my old workflow from Leopard to give you an idea of what I'm trying to do. Basically, I want to copy the images to a folder named "Resized" and then resize them, but leave the already resized images in the folder alone.

Code:
    selected images in finder
    -->New Folder
          Name:"Resized"
          Where:"Desktop"
    -->Get Folder Contents
    -->Filter Finder Items
          Whose: 
             "name" "does not contain" "(800)"
    -->Scale Images
          "To size(pixels)" "800"
    -->Add Text to Finder Item Names
          "Add Text"
             Add: "(800)" "after name"

2. dyn macrumors 68030

I started Automator and choose to create a service. What I did next was exactly built the service as you described. The "Filter Finder Items" does not have the option "does not contain" but it does have things like "is not", "begins with", etc. so you could try and use those instead. From your description I get the idea that every resized image has a filename ending in "(800)", if that's true than why not use the option "ends with"?

Regarding the folder I'd do it a bit different and start using scripts (Perl or bash script) since you can use checks to check whether a folder is already there or not and then do the appropriate thing. You can use such a script in Automator as well.

3. VTECaddict thread starter macrumors 6502

The problem with "ends with" is that I need it to select the files that do NOT "end with"...and it doesn't give me that option.

More and more I feel like I should have just stuck with Leopard. :mad: