Snow Leopard Bare Drive install success!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by trs23, Aug 29, 2009.

1. trs23 macrumors member

Just wanted to let everyone know this morning I installed a brand new drive in my mac mini (320GB 7200RPM for the record)

Then booted off the snow leopard disk and did a fresh install.

The key is to go into the disk utility menu when the first snow leopard screen is displayed (I think the button is "continue" on the first screen). Once in disk utility you can format your bare drive and then upon closing disk utility the SL installer will come back and prompt you to install on the drive you just formatted.

This was using the $29 snow leopard upgrade disk for the record (and yes I already owned leopard for this machine).

SL is so far working sweet except for the lack of istat menus! They really need to get a move on and get that SL compatible version released.

2. stordoff macrumors regular

I also did a clean install with the £25 disk. Brand new drive as installed by the Genius Bar (replacement for clicking drive).

Didn't even need to use Disk Utility.

3. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Just to report, I also installed to a clean drive. I bought a new drive for my Mac Pro. I booted into Leopard, clicked on the installer, chose the new drive, and off I went.

In the end, I had a clean install of Snow Leopard on the new drive and my Leopard drive still there just in case.

-Kevin

4. N10248 macrumors 6502a

N10248

I'll be doing an erase and install.

Can someone confirm that i'll be able to install the iLife apps from my Leopard restore discs without any problems, or will it say "this application can't be installed".

5. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

If you did an upgrade to Snow Leopard, and want to do a clean install - it's possible. As mentioned, once you've started the installer on the DVD, at the top of the screen in the menu you go into disk utility, then you can do an erase of your main hard drive. If you open the full log (another option somewhere in one of the top menu options) you can see what it's done.

Is worth it I'd say.