Snow leopard boot disk from hard drive wont boot in LION

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by shuweb, Dec 20, 2012.

1. shuweb macrumors newbie

I have 2.3 i5 MBP - which i bought with leopard pre installed. I upgraded to lion not so long ago.

I only realised after i couldnt use cinema 4d due to lion not including compatibility with rosetta apps.

Anyway my work macbook pro (2009) (the previous design before the all in one case is still on snow leopard with cinema 4d on it which works no prob.

So i cloned the entire system onto a firewire drive so i can boot up snow leopard on my 2011 MBP

However when i restart my i5 MBP selecting the firewire boot disk with snow leopard, it begins to start up but then all this code appears on screen, and a message comes up saying hold down power button until off, and then restart.

Code includes things like CPU not supported, and mac os version not set yet.

Is there anyway around this - as i need to be able to run cinema 4d. Too expensive to buy again. Thanks guys

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

How did you clone it?
    Did you use CCC or Disk Utilities or another way.
    OS X not set, might be the disk is not blessed.

And, to be sure, it is an early MBP is it, I ask because the late 2011 MBP can not run S.L.

3. MJS134 macrumors newbie

Errors with Snow Leopard install Disk

I am also getting this exact error with My Leopard or Snow Leopard install disk and thumb drive. I have a 2009 MBP that has 3 partitions for Snow Leopard, Bootcamp XP, & Mountain Lion. It works flawlessly! I repartitioned the HD on my mid 2010 MBP (that came with Leopard & SL upgrade disk) Now running latest ML. It repartitioned fine, but when I try to install SL I get the error, hold down power button till shut off.
    I have tried the original leopard disk, the upgrade SL disk, and a full version of snow on a thumb drive all with the same error. I am able to boot and run SL from an external drive just fine. I even tried installing a clean copy of SL on an external drive and used CCC to copy it to the partition while booted from a separate bootable HD. It had an error copying files (first time I ever saw CCC not be able to copy) and when I booted from the partition I got the error as well. I am thinking it must be something with the machine as I have 3 operating sys on my other MBP and Both are using the same 750g WD Black Harddrive. I just don't get it because it came with leopard.
    The only difference I can see is that on the older setup SL is the first partition then ML is the largest then BC is the smallest. On the newer one, ML is first and the largest then small partition for SL.
    Could the order of the partitions make a difference on weather or not they will run? Sorry for the length, but you seem pretty knowledgeable and I am trying to give you some more info. thx

4. shuweb thread starter macrumors newbie

I used a program recommended on a forum to clone the drive... it might have been CCC (can't remember what it was called exactly. - but anyway it was built for creating a boot up disk.

My MBP is defo early 2011 - i5 2.3.

The other thing is that Snow leopard seems to boot up fine from my boot disk when using the older MBP - so I assume Apple must have changed something in the MBP firmware which may mean Snow leaopard isn't compatible with the CPU maybe?

Anyway I'm not super techie so not sure how else to enable my 2011 MBP to run SL.

Thanks for the response anyway - any other suggestions appreciated.

5. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

You could try to reset both PRAM and SMC.