Snow Leopard broke DNS-323 Samba Access

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sammy2066, Aug 17, 2009.

1. sammy2066 macrumors 6502a

So, with build 10A432, I'm unable to access the files on my DNS-323 via Samba. It gives me this error ...

"The operation can’t be completed because the original item for “Volume_1” can’t be found."

I can access everything fine from another machine running Leopard. I believe this is a known issue with Snow Leopard, further hardening my belief that this is a very useless upgrade. The only real thing SL has got going for it, is the fact that it is cheap. That's why people will buy it, because its only $29.

Coming back to the topic, can someone suggest me a fix?

Also, if you want to debate the worthiness of SL as a $29 upgrade, please don't bother posting here. I don't want any smart fanboy comments either. Let's stick to the topic at hand.

2. sammy2066 thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. rpp3po macrumors regular

Samba works fine here with several different boxes, Solaris, Linux, Thecus NAS and Snow Leopard.

4. soup4you2 macrumors regular

I would try the developer forums, since your running SL you are apparently a developer and have access to them.

5. newrecruit macrumors newbie

Same problem. I can connect to anything but the dLink.

6. planktonamor macrumors newbie

I've gained access to my DNS-323

I wanted to let you know I ran into this as well. I am using firmware 1.07. I don't have a full solution, but rather a workaround that at least works for me. I reset to factory settings and have left it wide open, allowing all guests to have r/w access. As soon as I tie down access it doesn't let me connect. For the time being I have to leave mine open. Hopefully my family won't erase anything. I tried doing this before the factory reset and didn't have any luck, perhaps I missed something. Either way, it obviously has something to do with the way credentials are being passed. I have nothing else to test against, so I don't know if it's the OS or the NAS. I saw someone saying samba is working elsewhere...is that with security, or allowing guest access?

Hope this helps.

7. iphone3gss macrumors member

8. planktonamor macrumors newbie

Thanks iphone3gss! Upgraded this morning and works like a champ. Looks as though D-Link was on top of it. Thanks again

9. sammy2066 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ah, let me upgrade and post my results!

10. SyPhi macrumors newbie

SyPhi

Dns-323

I lost my DNS-323 after installing Snow Leopard, but it's come back after updating the firmware from 1.06 to 1.08b5. for some reason the fan in the DNS box keeps running, but at least I can see my drive!!

11. SyPhi macrumors newbie

SyPhi

Fixed the fan

After installing firmware 1.08b5, the fan ran continuously on the DAN-323. Went into the setup for power management on the DNS-323 and reselected fan speed to auto/low/high and saved. Fan stopped!!

12. bainy macrumors newbie

Hi All,

If you dont want to use the BETA firmware here is something ive found that helps...

Log into the Dlink and change the user accounts password you are trying to use.

Change the password to only numerical (No letters/symbols etc).

This should now allow access to the Dlink 323 via Snow Leopard.

13. ju55i macrumors newbie

This didn't work for me. Console is still reading:
    9/3/09 9:22:22 AM kernel smb_smb_ssnsetup: NTLMv2 security required!

14. peterbaby macrumors member

Thanks a million ! It's weird but it does the trick for me under 1.06, changed to passwords to just numeric chars and Snow Leopard just works Leopard did.

(Although for some users installing a beta may be less of a hassle than changing many passwords :cool:)

15. holmgard macrumors newbie

Fix via change in SAMBA security config SHARE => USER

This fix did the trick for me (posts #4 and #5).

It changes your samba security config from SHARE to USER, but it requires you to use the fun_plug, if you aren't using it already (check out the wonderful DNS-323 wiki).