Snow Leopard broke Screen Sharing hack?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by LeviSnuts, Aug 31, 2009.

1. LeviSnuts macrumors newbie

anyone else lose function of the "defaults write com.apple.ScreenSharing ShowBonjourBrowser_Debug 1" screen sharing hack?

2. guitar24t macrumors newbie

Screen Sharing Hack Broken 10.6

Yes, I have lost the bonjour browser dialog. I have also been unable to edit the nib files because they are compiled so the extra toolbar buttons are gone as well. Anyone with insight and information, please help - the bonjour browser especially helps with work:(

3. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

I don't know if it would launch, but its working on my Snow Leopard still at 10A421a and I could upload the nib's or just the whole screen sharing app

4. guitar24t macrumors newbie

Yes Please!

That would help. Your bonjour browser still works!!!?
    Rob

5. jardeon macrumors newbie

I've lost this functionality, too.

I used to use it for remote pair programming with a developer in another state. We're contemplating switching to Apple Remote Desktop, and we alternate pair programming responsibilities. Does anyone know if we would each be required to buy a copy in other to connect to each others' screens?

6. stevenhaddox macrumors newbie

Bonjour browsing still works...

Just not the same way as before. Now when I go to my "Shared" computers section in the left-panel of Finder I can select any computer Bonjour detects and then choose "Share Screen..." I don't remember seeing that one before Snow Leopard.

7. theBigD23 macrumors 6502a

That's been there at least since Leopard.

8. michaelwithe21 macrumors member

michaelwithe21

9. rols macrumors 6502

Don't see why that's relevant. Unless I read that link wrong, the poster there is complaining that mDNSResponder is required to make things work and cannot be disabled as he wants, not that it fails to advertise services. I certainly haven't disabled mine (I have no issues with it running) and a bonjour browser shows the shareable screens advertising themselves, it just seems the client isn't subscribing or the nib/xib files are bongoed.

If I misread that post, please explain.

10. super_kev macrumors 6502

super_kev

Bummer, it seems as though I can't get toolbar extras either:

Code:
    defaults write com.apple.ScreenSharing \
    'NSToolbar Configuration ControlToolbar' -dict-add 'TB Item Identifiers' \
    '(Scale,Control,Share,Curtain,Capture,FullScreen,GetClipboard,SendClipboard,Quality)'

11. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

Notice the word "hack" in this. I think that explains why Apple removed this undocumented feature.

12. divincem macrumors newbie

How about they add the much needed feature then

Agreed it was a hack but for a reason since there was no way to manage sessions.

13. saj777 macrumors newbie

14. lsmall macrumors newbie

screensharing menulet is great

In case anyone is still following this thread, the menulet mentioned in the link posted by saj777 is really good. It's just what I needed to manage my remote connections. It was a pain to manually input addresses in the connection dialog after the hack was broken in snowleopard. Would be nice to get back the advanced screensharing features, such as color depth, but I'm happy with the ability to remember my frequent connections.

Thanks for the post-really helpful

15. ClayOtis macrumors newbie

ClayOtis

Finally a Fix!!

I agree... saj that link (although i had to search for the ScreenSharingMenulet as the link opened to a blank page) is a lifesaver.... I VOW this post will be the last time I type 192.168.1.100 :D OK so that's so not true, but at least I don't have to type it in just to VNC around my network.... thanks bud, you're like the human aspirin; my hero of the day.

PS I found the link on http://www.applebloog.com/?p=26173 but my guess is that will change, so if ppl just search for "ScreenSharingMenulet" in that green search box, you'll find lazy man's GOLD. :)

PPS I couldn't find a n00b place to post this so i'll amend my post here and subscribe to this thread in hopes someone can smack me around and tell me where this would be more appropriate to post... i cant seem to see anyone's avatars... i uploaded one for my account and i can see it in my user CP, i have the boxes checked to see sigs and avitars etc... so is it because i am a newcomer that i am not seeing people's avitars etc?? I looked thu the Wiki help and couldn't find an answer, sorry to post this on the coattails of my post, please repremand me so i wont make the same mistake again.