Snow Leopard Buggy Slow Hot

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sportguy0913, Sep 5, 2009.

1. sportguy0913 macrumors 6502

I have a BRAND NEW 13" MacBook Pro. I had Leopard running 100% smoothly, correctly, wonderfully; I installed the Snow Leopard upgrade and it is ALWAYS HOT, SLOW, it freezes up every 5 minutes!!! I have to take notes on this computer for school so I need to it work like it did before. What is wrong with it? My hard drive is BRAND NEW so its not that and don't say it is. Because before SL, L worked fine! I have SMC Fan control running, could that be it? Or this thing called caffeine to keep computer from going to sleep, and the internal stickies application. That's all. Just running something like Safari makes it freeze up. Then I go to force quit it, and finder freezes up. 5 times in the past 30 minutes I've had to force shut down the dang thing, and I'll be lucky if this doesn't freeze up... Oh look at that, I go to click a different open tab in this browser and what does it do? Freezes for 5 minutes. UGH. What is wrong and how come every one seems to have it perfect? I can't afford an external hard drive so I can't back up with time machine so I AM NOT doing a clean install. What can I do? IS it one of those apps running in the background? And the system is always at 74 degrees celcius or more. What is up with that?

2. chriszzz macrumors 6502

Why do you have SMC fan control?

Step 1 in diagnosing the problem is to disable all plugins and extensions you have. Then see what happens.

3. donjuan2009 macrumors member

I have the same problem with the temp, it get very hot about 80c sometimes, and sometimes not is running at 50c like now

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Doubt it's the extras you have installed. A few people have your problem with the on/off again freezing. Try to open activity monitor and see if there's something sporadically using CPU/resources.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Sounds like the fans are not spinning up and a process is causing the CPU to peg at 100%

To help diagnose the problem, you need to look into some things, first run activity monitor found in Applications -> Utilities -> Activity Monitor. I suggest you put it on your dock for easy access for the time being.

Second, download iStat pro or another utility to display the temperature of the Mac and fan speed.

For instance, my MBP, has a fan speed of 3000, and a temp of 57c, just for surfing. Not too unusual especially given the fact I'm running off the 9600M GPU. My temps have not increased too much (maybe a tick) since upgrading to Snow Leopard and my CPU utilization has not changed.

If you are dealing with a really hot and slow computer it definitely sounds like a process is pegging the CPU to 100% which means the temps also will be increasing. By running those apps I suggest you'll be better apt to diagnose the issue.

6. jqc macrumors regular

I did an upgrade on my 13" mbp and find that its consistently running in the 50 degree C range when doing normal things i.e. ichat, mail, browsing, itunes, quicktime, etc. In Leopard it running consistently in the mid to high 60s.

I also installed clicktoflash which blocks all the flash on websites, so im that helped...

7. donjuan2009 macrumors member

I think i found the problem, everytime i use flash player, the temp goes up 80c

8. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Obviously 'sport guy' isn't really that interested in fixing his problem since he hasn't responded to any of the input that would help him get it sorted.

I also find it funny that 'sport guy' can't afford to have his machine down or unstable, and yet he won't go out and spend $50 on a back up hard drive so he could do a restore, etc.

What the hell are you going to do 'sport guy' if your machine takes a dump and you have no backups?

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Before you start flaming, has it ever occurred to you that the OP might have a life other then sitting in front of his mac. His post is time stamped today at 11:12 (est), perhaps he's now out doing other things. The only reason why I'm sitting here typing is because I just primed some woodwork in my living room and I'm waiting for the first coat to dry.

People come here, post a question, looking for help but they don't sit here for hours, hitting refresh waiting for the answers - heck, I'm not may others are but I have a life.

10. 0linda macrumors newbie

Snow Leopard

:mad: She rants: Since we installed Snow Leopard a couple of days ago, my MAC is nearly useless with all the "can't find server" crap, browser crashes, and slow connections mixed with fast intermittently coming and going. I hate this upgrade. I actually went back to my old computer yesterday which isn't a MAC.

It's been acting as if someone is sharing my bandwidth and making large downloads every other 2 or 3 minutes.

I'm ready to get my money back for this crap!

11. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Ya, I suppose you're right, which is why it's been five days and no further input from the OP.

Some of us work at computers for a living and spend a good chunk of our day popping in and out of this forum posting a bit and trying to help other users out.

When someone does a 'drive by' in which they bitch bitch bitch and then abandon the thread it is a waste of all of our time.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Accept your initial post was only 1 hour after the OPs and you were lambasting him for not posting a response on a saturday in a timely manner :rolleyes:

13. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Accept that your characterization of the OP as someone who had a life and had not had time to check and respond to his thread when people were offering useful responses was wrong.