Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neo25

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2009
Sometime a reboot or icon rebuild will fix the problem.

Well, here is how o solve the problem: For somehow, after applying 10A421a build, my quicktime icon has not changed (upgraded) in Dock. Looking in Application folder, i have noticed that the icon inside is in fact, the new one. So, i just remove the old icon in Dock and replaced for the new one from Application folder.
I just dont know why the icon is not upgraded after reboot and how the link for the app was working with older icon.
So case closed!

neo25

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2009
What im really missing in SL is the quicktime pro features. We could do every encoding trhu quicktime before. Now, with SL, we must have Compressor for that.
Is anyone missing it too?
Is there any chances of Apple include the Pro feature in final build of SL?

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
What im really missing in SL is the quicktime pro features. We could do every encoding trhu quicktime before. Now, with SL, we must have Compressor for that.
Is anyone missing it too?
Is there any chances of Apple include the Pro feature in final build of SL?

Nobody knows. We can only wait and see. We're still missing a preference pan for QTX.

neo25

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2009
Nobody knows. We can only wait and see. We're still missing a preference pan for QTX.

Yes, i forgot that one.

Have heard Apple will turn QT in a simple video playback app in order to focus on Final Cut (studio and express). Not sure if its true or not, but if it is, users of QTPro will be disappointed.
Bad, bad Apple.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Yes, i forgot that one.

Have heard Apple will turn QT in a simple video playback app in order to focus on Final Cut (studio and express). Not sure if its true or not, but if it is, users of QTPro will be disappointed.
Bad, bad Apple.

Two completely different field. There's a lot of home users who use QT Pro that has nothing to do with Final Cut. Most likely they'll be pushing iMovie for those kind of features in Pro.

neo25

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2009
Two completely different field. There's a lot of home users who use QT Pro that has nothing to do with Final Cut. Most likely they'll be pushing iMovie for those kind of features in Pro.

I kind agree but the most cool feature in QTPro is that you can handle with a large amount of video files and types. Thats my case, making DVD from a lot of avi's.
iMovie is very restrictive in type of video files (as far as i know). For example, it cannot handle with divx files.
Maybe next version of iLife they will make it possible...

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
I kind agree but the most cool feature in QTPro is that you can handle with a large amount of video files and types. Thats my case, making DVD from a lot of avi's.
iMovie is very restrictive in type of video files (as far as i know). For example, it cannot handle with divx files.
Maybe next version of iLife they will make it possible...

Yes but remember QTX and iLife is much simpler and easy to use by anybody who has a camera.

Load Final Cut....it looks like you need a college degree to use it.

neo25

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2009
Yes but remember QTX and iLife is much simpler and easy to use by anybody who has a camera.

Load Final Cut....it looks like you need a college degree to use it.

Man, i completely agree with you, although compressor seems easy to use for me. I confess i never understanded Final Cut and i gave up os DVD Studio and its subtitle lack of support!

neo25

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2009
Well, i just realize that i can export vids from garageband the same way as QTPro. Just drop the movie file into garageband and export it as i wanted. Just like in QTPro.

Edited: Forget it! It takes more than the triple time than using QT... :(

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Man, i completely agree with you, although compressor seems easy to use for me. I confess i never understanded Final Cut and i gave up os DVD Studio and its subtitle lack of support!

Can we get compressor separate from Final Cut Studio? Seems ridiculous to pay for the whole Final Cut license just to get compressor. Apple should release it for free, it'll be enough to justify the loss of QT Pro.

neo25

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2009
Can we get compressor separate from Final Cut Studio? Seems ridiculous to pay for the whole Final Cut license just to get compressor. Apple should release it for free, it'll be enough to justify the loss of QT Pro.

Not really sure but i think is not possible. Maybe it comes with Final Cut Express.
Although i found a solution for QTPro issue: just install QT 7 from update. Yes its possible by running a video that is just QT 7 compatible, for example a .qtz movie. It will automatically download QT7, and if you have a Pro license, it will be activated. Hope Apple keep this feature (option, actually) in the final version of SL.

So far my encoding time has increased alot in SL, something like 2,5 times slower... dont no why.. :(

Is there anyone facing a slow encoding time in Snow Leopard than in Leopard using any app (Garage Band, iMovie, Quicktime, Final Cut, etc)??
Doesnt it seems a little.. ironic? Any chances it is caused by a non final release of SL? Is it maybe intencionally?
I will do more tests.

Gugus

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2009
I don't know when the next build is expected (and maybe the last one before sending this version to DVD burning), but I just hope they will not leave Spaces in this state…

This is the last thing annoying for me : Switching between spaces with the keyboard when you have windows opened is no more fluid as it can be with leopard, and when you have Application assigned in specific Spaces opened… you need to click twice on their icon in the dock to make them come to foreground…

Or I am the only one with this problem, and a clean 10A421a will resolve this :confused:

neo25

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2009
Have anyone noticed that the external disks icons in Desktop are huge in 10A421a??

macintoshtoffy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
New Zealand
I don't know when the next build is expected (and maybe the last one before sending this version to DVD burning), but I just hope they will not leave Spaces in this state…

This is the last thing annoying for me : Switching between spaces with the keyboard when you have windows opened is no more fluid as it can be with leopard, and when you have Application assigned in specific Spaces opened… you need to click twice on their icon in the dock to make them come to foreground…

Or I am the only one with this problem, and a clean 10A421a will resolve this :confused:

I wonder if they'll do another public build via software update - whether the final touches don't actually need further public releases? I wonder because if they release it via software update then a person who got the WWDC kit but not a developer member would end up getting a full version of Snow Leopard for free - not to mention how easy it would be for all the non-official WWDC Snow Leopard users who would get it as well (that is not to say that a leak won't happen).

neo25

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2009

I dont have problem navigating into spaces. For example, if an application is assigned to space 2 and im working in space 1 i just click once with my mouse in that app icon (in dock) and space 2 is automatically shown.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
I wonder if they'll do another public build via software update - whether the final touches don't actually need further public releases? I wonder because if they release it via software update then a person who got the WWDC kit but not a developer member would end up getting a full version of Snow Leopard for free - not to mention how easy it would be for all the non-official WWDC Snow Leopard users who would get it as well (that is not to say that a leak won't happen).

RTM builds or RC builds aren't going to be published over the software update nor would it be seeded to developers outside of internal ADC devs.

Mr. Wonderful

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2009
RTM builds or RC builds aren't going to be published over the software update nor would it be seeded to developers outside of internal ADC devs.

And I'm sure the developer builds that we have been seeing seeded via Software Update are not the latest version of 10.6, either, just as the WWDC demonstration used a newer build than the WWDC build seeded to developers.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
The way it normally works for select and premier ADC members is when the new version goes GM Apple sends the DVD's for client and server via snailmail to devs. That's how it's been done for past new versions. Whether or not they do it with this version I don't know.

They also post the GM seed to the ADC site for select and premier members.

macintoshtoffy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
New Zealand
can i read/write a extern hdd formatted on ntfs???
or do i need an app? which one is compatible with snow leopard???

Nope you can't.

I'd say that you'll need to wait till MacFuse/NTFS-3G is made available for Snow Leopard (which is free of charge, so I don't understand what all the whining and multiple question marks is all about).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.