Snow Leopard causing loud fan noise when watching video

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jhatz, Jul 16, 2010.

1. jhatz macrumors member

Are others experiencing this? I'm having issue getting a good solid answer after googling for quite a while. Some of the threads I have read also lead to no end result.

When I watch any videos, no matter what it is, after about 2 minutes my black macbook heats up and then run at fan speeds of 3600-4800rpm and it's super annoying and hot. As soon as I turn off the video, it cools down back to 1800 RPM and runs at 62 degrees. Sooooo odd.

I went to the genius bar and the guy there said that it is probably due to the fact that Snow Leopard takes advantage of the dual-core processor. I don't understand why it needs to utilize this processor where as it never had an issue on leopard before I upgraded.

I've also read that reloading the OS doesn't seem to help. Is this a common issue? Should I go back to Leopard?

I've only noticed that expose` is a little bit fancier on SL but other than that, I do not notice much of anything that is different.

2. celticpride678

3. JonBorichef macrumors regular

JonBorichef

Had the same issue on my iMac. Restoring OS works.

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Flash content or just videos in general? If it's flash, that's normal. If it's normal videos, your computer should heat up a bit but not to the point where your fans come on and your computer gets hot. Seeing how you're using the black MacBook, it looks like dust is affecting the cooling from the fans.

5. jhatz thread starter macrumors member

Just uninstalled and reinstalled, didn't fix a thing.

6. jhatz thread starter macrumors member

Dust immediately just stormed into my computer the minute after I updated to SL? Lies.

Any type of video does it.

7. jhatz thread starter macrumors member

Update:

Running video doesn't seem to effect the computer in any way if it's in the background and I'm not physically watching the content. But if I flip back to actually watching the video it skyrockets again.

8. drjaymez macrumors member

You can use istat or other programs to control the fan speed. If you monitor temps and choose a temp and fan speed that is acceptible to you, you may be able to manually arrive at a compromise of temp and fan speed.

9. Rangers30 macrumors newbie

Flash, definitely Flash. Nothing really seems to help it.

10. jhatz thread starter macrumors member

huh?

11. Rangers30 macrumors newbie

ADOBE FLASH is the problem. There isn't much you can do. Even on a PC it sucks. The best you can do is get a fan control program and crank it to around 4000 rpm to keep it somewhat under control and even that doesn't last for long. Getting more memory might help a little too but not much.

12. em100 macrumors newbie

em100

fan control

There is a program called smc fan control i highly recommend it.