Snow Leopard clean install and Office 2008

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MacHiavelli, Aug 27, 2009.

1. MacHiavelli macrumors 65816

MacHiavelli

I have Office 2008 on Leopard.

I will do a clean install of Snow Leopard (wiping the hard drive).

What do I need to do to get Office 2008 to work again as the licence will already have been used. Is there a way deregister and then reregister the licence?

2. strack macrumors newbie

should be fine

As long as you are doing it on the same machine it should be fine to reinstall office and put in the code. I don't think you need to deregister the old computer.

3. MacHiavelli thread starter macrumors 65816

MacHiavelli

Yep, it will be the same machine. I just want to use the chance in installing SL to reformat the drive. Don't want to lose my Office licence....

Cheers

4. strack macrumors newbie

5. MacHiavelli thread starter macrumors 65816

MacHiavelli

Thanks ;-)

Fingers crossed.

Must remember to deauthorise iTunes!

6. nadyne macrumors 6502a

You don't need to do anything. Just install Office 2008 on your fresh new install of Snow Leopard, enter your product key (that's the one printed on the back of the DVD envelope) when asked, and you're done.

Well, you're not entirely done, you'll need to run updates on Office 2008 to get it up to the most recent version (12.2.1, as of this writing). :)

Regards,
    Nadyne.

7. MacHiavelli thread starter macrumors 65816

MacHiavelli

Many thanks, Nadyne.

Np product activation then to think about - cool. Appreciate your help. Just wanted to make sure my licence was kept intact. Cheers!

8. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

Huh? I've never deauthorized iTunes except when changing out hardware. I don't think upgrading your OS requires you to do this as it's registered to the logic board. When I had my iMac G5 repaired and got a new logic board, I had to deregister all computers because the old iMac's logic board was still registered.

9. 5DollaFootlong macrumors 6502

5DollaFootlong

would the same thing apply for adobe cs4? if i did an erase and install, would i have to deactivate my old adobe software. just wondering

10. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Just in case anyone was wondering, the Office 2008 installer requires that Rosetta be installed. So if you chose not to install Rosetta during your Snow Leopard installation, you will be prompted to install Rosetta when you launch the Office 2008 installer. Just tell it to install Rosetta and it will automagically download and install Rosetta from the Software Update site. Then you can launch the Office 2008 installer again and it will run correctly.

11. myuserid08 macrumors 6502

12. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

How would Microsoft be expected to update the installer on the DVDs that millions of users already have?

13. adamk77 macrumors 6502

Hey, thanks for that link! I was putting off installing Office 2008 because I didn't want to install Rosetta. I'm going to try what's suggested in that link.