Snow Leopard: Clean Install or Upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by modernart, Aug 27, 2009.

1. modernart macrumors member

When you "upgrade," doesn't the system wipe out the entire previous version and replace it with the new one? i don't quite understand the issue between clean install or upgrade with the SL. I figure it would be a non-issue, but it seems like people are 50/50 on it.

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

When you upgrade iTunes, does it wipe out all your music and settings?

3. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Upgrade leaves all your personal files alone and just upgrades the system's files and applications.

Clean install erases your computer entirely (including your stuff), and reinstalls from scratch.

Most of the time "upgrade" is fine, but if you want to clean out your system and reinstall everything from scratch, do a "clean install" (after backing up your files, of course). Some people choose this option because they just have so much random stuff on their computers that they want to clean it all up to improve performance.

4. iheartzombie macrumors member

iheartzombie

i've already backed up my stuff.

i also just got my MBP and haven't installed or put anything back
    because i know i'll do a clean install of SL.

but like someone said, a clean install wipes out everything.

5. modernart thread starter macrumors member

Ahhh, makes sense now.

Well, my MBP is about a month old, and I don't have many files or programs on it, so I'll probably just do the clean install.

6. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

The thing also with the full install is, all your settings and preferences are all wiped out so that could be a PITA to set back up. Not to mention re-installing all your apps back.

7. Chad H macrumors 6502a

Chad H

Yeah, I am currently debating this. I just got my MBP in today w/ an SSD and really want to play with it but SL will be in tomorrow.

8. justflie macrumors 6502a

justflie

I'm planning on upgrading. I figure that if it gets messed up or isn't behaving well, I can always go back to a previous Leopard time machine backup and try again! :)

9. cu2010 macrumors 6502

Does this apply to Mail as well?

10. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Yes, Mail is one of the apps that will be upgraded with Snow Leopard -- but all of your messages will still be just fine.

11. deathspared macrumors newbie

I have always done clean installs but am a little unsure of the benefit now with Time Machine restoring all my files/preferences/drivers exactly the same as it was prior to Snow Leopard.

The benefit with clean install is that everything was fresh but since I am importing all the junk I had before anyway, what's the point.

I would like to know if there is actually a difference between upgrade and clean install/time machine restore.

12. hamis92 macrumors 6502

Upgrade for me. I want to see how much I will gain disk space, but I also don't want to go through the hassle of clean install.

13. Chad H macrumors 6502a

Chad H

I wonder if its better to upgrade since my machine is brand new(new to me) and get all the updates. Like the HDD firmware update and so on. Then upgrade to Snow Leopard tomorrow?

14. simonpickard macrumors regular

How does with work with bootcamp?

If you do a clean does that delete all your windows stuff as well?

I'm actually wanting this by the way.

Been waiting for Snow so I can wipe everything and start again.

Can you do this with the install?

Regards,
    Simon

15. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

i'm pretty sure it just leaves that windows partition alone.

16. Pagga macrumors 6502

Pagga

Closer to the Artic circle than I like to be
    Of course it will; you can´t install Snowey on both partitions at the same time.
    What you´re asking is if SL will erase he partitions. No, it won´t.

17. Lucas111 macrumors newbie

I upgraded this morning! Everything was exactly the same as before, except it changed my desktop background. (and all the new Snow Leopard features)

I upgraded because I cant be bothered reinstalling CS4, and everything else I need for Uni, mid-semester!

18. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

CS4 is just kinda one of those Applications. Ya know? I just deactivated mine and uninstalled it, but i'm formatting my drive and starting fresh. All I needed to do was save my bookmarks, archive my mail, sync everything up to the cloud (mobileme) and deactivate that, then take care of my itunes stuff, then I uninstalled all my applications. I wonder if you'll see a speed hit by just doing an in place upgrade.

But hey if it still works.

19. jshelton macrumors 6502a

Maybe they added a password feature to Mail.

20. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

I've upgraded 2 machines without any problems.

My main machine reclaimed 25GB back, but no way was the original installation over 25GB's, what happened is that SL has reread the capacity of the 500GB drive I have and that is where I have made the gain in space! I only installed Leopard on this last week anyway and I don't include the language packs or printers drivers.

Everything is as you left it, I had a program running on Leopard as I ran the installation disk. That program was still in the taskbar once the installation had completed and rebooted into Snow Leopard.

You literally pick up where you left off. All my hot corners are still here as well. My dock enhancements via tinkertool stayed in place, and caffeine was already in the taskbar.

Just upgrade. But back up your data of course ;).

21. blurfonz macrumors regular

22. Jelite macrumors 6502a

if it's only a month old a clean install won't have any benefit, you may as well just upgrade.

23. modernart thread starter macrumors member

very true. would i be able to upgrade and then maybe towards the end of the year, do a clean install? and just reinstall SL.

24. Anaximines macrumors newbie

what about this: (from engadget's review)

For those who have already played with it: is it true that there's no specific clean install option? Does anyone know if the normal install is really a clean install behind the scenes as Engadget says?

25. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I normally do a reformat and full install when a new OS comes out. This time I decided to just upgrade. I just got the Mac two months ago, AND I really don't want to reinstall everything else or lose settings. I will probably stick with it until new versions of iLife, iWork, Office, and Adobe CS5 come out next year. Then I will do a format and fresh install.

I know it would probably be a little faster to clean install everything, but the thing is already really fast.

I am impressed with Snow Leopard so far. I just hope OpenCL and Grand Central really take off and developers build programs around them to make our Macs even faster.

Little bit ticked off about the 32-bit default kernel issue, but decided to not mess with forcing 64-bit.