Snow Leopard Clean Install then restore files with Time Machine?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rbownes, Aug 28, 2009.

1. rbownes macrumors newbie

I ordered the $29 upgrade online. I was wondering if I could do a hard drive format and fresh install then restore my photos and documents and mp3s from my Time Capsule using Time Machine. This would probably free up even more HD space and make the OS cleaner and fresher, no? Would this be possible?

2. eshroom macrumors 6502

(Although i sense a no) I would also like an answer to this. Furthermore, this thread was no.1 when I google searched the topic, so you would probably help more people out than just me.

Cheers!

3. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

I've not seen this done. When I've done a clean install - the only option I have got is to do a complete restoration of the disk via Time Machine rather than specific files.

Why don't you simply back up your folders, do the clean install and then drag the specific items back?

4. eshroom macrumors 6502

I would, but I just don't want to have to go through the tedious task of reinstalling eeeevery application I have.

I read somewhere you can get the apps back from time machine, but they may not work properly...?

5. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

I don't understand. What makes you think you can't you do a clean SL install and then port your TM files over using migration assistant? It will work.

But really, doing it this way... you aren't accomplishing anything as that's basically what the "upgrade" does. (keeps old application preference settings).

If you want to be sure of a clean and pristine system, nuke your drive, install SL, and manually reinstall all your apps from their sources. (Just like when you bought your mac). At least this way you won't second guess yourself if you run into some kind of incompatibility.

6. eshroom macrumors 6502

That all seems to make sense.

I'll explain my train of thought though. I came from the windows school, mac user for 5 years now, with windows (windoze or whatever) upgrades leave a machine cluttered and slow. The only way to make sure the machine works well is a clean install.

Is Mac OS X the same? I've read no, but I still have this windows mentality looming over.

So... is there much advantage to be had by doing a clean install of everything?

7. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

With windows all those orphaned DLL files and registry entries build up over time. OSX has no such clutter. I don't want to give the impression that your mac doesn't have a few stray and useless files leftover from an uninstalled application but it's nothing like Windows.

When going from OSX 10.5 to 10.6 you are changing to a new OS with some serious code changes (64bit). This in itself might pose incompatibilities with certain applications you are using now. All I'm saying is if you do just a plain old upgrade and encounter an OSX "hiccup" with one of these applications, you won't really know why. A lot of SL users found this to be the only way they got certain things to work.

That being said... I just did the upgrade but my applications are pretty sparse and nothing too "third party". But I did clone my Leopard system just in case I wanted to go back. It wasn't necessary and I was up and running just fine after 35 minutes.

Regardless of which method you choose, make sure all your apps are updated to their most recent version as soon as possible.

8. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

In this case... no. The upgrading will be just as efficient as the clean install. Comparing OS X to Windows re: bloat is misconceived. The Windows Registry kept entries of just about every piece of software put into it. Even Add/Remove would not delete every file associated with a programme. When I was a pure Windows user I had to re-install the OS every 12 months because it would simply deteriorate and break down after that period.

OS X is not perfect but does not carry that type of baggage.

If you really want to avoid re-installing applications then use Migration Assistant to copy over your Applications folder and then drag all documents back. Seems to defeat the purpose a bit if you're aiming for a true clean install a la Windows style - where you did have to re-install everything.

As I say, the Mac techs that I've spoken to have told me that there is no real advantage to clean installing SL but it's your choice...

9. SolRayz macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

I reformatted my drive and reinstalled SL the other day, did the restore through time machine thingy. It seemed to have worked perfectly for me. It took an extra hour or so but my machine is exactly the way it was before the format. No issues that I can perceive.

10. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

I have set my time machine up so that it only backups up certain files and folders. For example it just saves my music (along with play count found in the library), documents, movies and photo library. All of the software and settings i can reinstall from the disc. This gives me the security of knowing all my media files are safe and also saves room on the back up hard drive.

11. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I've heard the same thing but in my experience, going from 10.4 >10.5 and 10.5 > 10.6, both times first doing an upgrade I ended up with glitches in the system (fonts coming up garbled in the Finder, graphical glitches, etc.). Both times doing a clean install then Migration from Time Machine backup fixed the issues.

12. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

some users have said that doing an upgrade has created plenty of bugs.

I myself did a clean install (YouTube how to do it if you don't know), and have no encountered any bugs whatsoever. Spaces and expose was a little choppy, but after restarting 1-2 times it was perfect - no problems at all

13. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday