Snow leopard clean install

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Hissori, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Hissori macrumors member

For those that have performed the erase and install...

If you have a windows partition, will it be erased during the installation process through erase and install? I only want to wipe my mac side and not my windows side.

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

no cuz when you do the erase you pick which partition you wanna wipe out, so obviously you pick Mac one and the Windows stays untouched.

3. IDANNY macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

can you do an erase and install with the $30 upgrade disk?

4. McNewbie macrumors newbie

Sorry I know this may seem a really stupid question but if I do a clean install all the applications that came pre-installed in my Mac will get deleted right? Would I then be able to put those apps back using the Leopard disc and just boot up "applications only" disc?

5. McNewbie macrumors newbie

Yes it's not really an upgrade disc. Heaps of people have done clean installs using the said disc :)

6. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Yup. I did it with a blank HDD and someone else with a blank SSD.

7. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

The standard installer creates a brand new (clean) operating system on the disk, deletes the existing OS, and restores the compatible applications.

Erase and Install is similar except that the disk is wiped prior to installing the new system, and existing applications/settings have to be restored in a separate process from a Time Machine backup.
    ie: it's a three step process; the standard installer simply combines the three steps into a single installation procedure.

Probably, there's not a nickel's worth of difference between the results of the two methods, although the Erase and Install seems like it might take longer to complete.

BTW, I noticed that initially, SL graphics performance seems below par.
    After a few hours, the standard installation returns to normal performance.
    This seems to be true for all OSX systems that include Spotlight.

8. bigcat macrumors 6502

I am also interested in an answer to the question below. Would one be able to re-install iLife, etc from the DVDs that came with the mac? Wondering if doing so would overwrite OS files or cause damage.