Snow Leopard DP 32-bit switching for Sys Prefs?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by darwinian, Dec 27, 2008.

1. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Nice find. Looks legit to me. A lot of app version shots and 32 bit compatibility modes. I was under the impression that 64 to 32 was supposed to be transparent. Having a 32 bit mode seems a little unApple to me.

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I expect that all of the Apple panes will be 64-bit by release time. It could be a bit of a mess for third-party apps though.

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

64 bit drivers are required for all peripherals. If they ain't 64 bit they ain't gunna run. It should be fine but we may have a few stragglers.

4. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Not entirely. For most of us mac users, it will be because of our Core 2 Duo processors.. but for the few Core Duo users, it'll be 32-bit. (Maybe powerPC users also? unless they removed PPC support)

5. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Sometimes reality trumps design. There's really no way to load 32 bit code into a 64 bit binary, so plugins (which includes system preference panes) will need to be updated.

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I meant 64-bit versions in addition to the existing 32-bit ones, not exclusively 64-bit.

7. applefan69 macrumors 6502a

applefan69

If apple has to update what i imagine all their software into 64 bit... then snow leopard will be a much bigger update then I thouhgt. Alot of people think of snow leopard of apple making the code more efficient, and maybe a few features like grand central. But it seems like apple has ALOT of work to do wiht snow leopard, no wonder there isnt gonna be many new features.

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Not all of the software, just all of the preference panes. Apple may choose to update some apps too, but it's not compulsory that it does so. Having said that, I'd imagine that most Apple UAs are "64-bit ready" and need minimal changes.

9. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Don't bet on that.