Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjfarsi

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2005
After installing Snow Leopard my email messages from Entourage are not showing up in spotlight searched.

I have tried going to Preferences-> Spotlight in entourage and pressing 'rebuild' but that doesn't seem to do the trick.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, as I heavily rely on this feature.

Wendorff

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2009
Same Trouble

I seem to be one of the few(?) having this issue. Basically, when using "Mail Views" Entourage is no longer finding all of my emails. "received today" shows none and "Sent to me" shows a few messages etc.

I've tried Preferences>Spotlight>Rebuild, verified and re-built permissions and I've done an un-install re-install of entourage. After several hours of quality time with Microsoft CSRs, they say they've exhausted everything and it is an indexing problem with Snow Leopard. Sigh.

I created a second user account and Entourage works perfectly and so I'm really confused about what to do next. To compound my dilemma this is my first Mac.

I am running a new Mac Pro dual quad core machine.

Thank you in advance for your help with this frustrating issue.
Jeff

grimbeast

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2009
Had the same problem......

Hi

I had the same problem.

I did setup a dummy account in mail.app, and made sure that Entourage was my default mail app. In preferences for Entourage I also made entourage my default mail app.

After doing these two things my spotlight searches started working again.

Wendorff

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2009
In Mail, Entourage is the default email reader and I selected Entourage>General>Set Entourage to Default. I also then rebuilt the database in Entourage

No luck

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
In Mail, Entourage is the default email reader and I selected Entourage>General>Set Entourage to Default. I also then rebuilt the database in Entourage

No luck

If you are utilizing it to connect to Exchange server 07/ SP1, you may have better luck/capabilities with the new Entourage Web services edition. Just went live a couple weeks ago, and now supports Categories/Notes/Task Syncing.

FYI

kets

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2009
Me too!

Ouch. Same problem here. i did a rebuild. I read somewhere else that you had to do a Microsoft Sync in the App -> Office -> folder. But that didn't do anything else for me.

Help pls.

kets

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2009
Success.

I just did the following and it worked for me:

1. Followed Wendorff above and set my Entourage as "default"
2. Rebuild spotlight in Entourage
3. Restart my Mac
4. Restart Entourage
5. Double check Entourage as "default"

And voila, success.

Hope it works for you. I'm running an iMac bought 6 months ago with Snow Leopard installed yesterday. :)

Wendorff

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2009
My Fix

Well believe it or not, I finally fixed mine by deleting and re-creating the saved search "Received Today". Works like a champ ever since.

I set it to: Match if all criteria are met>Date Received>Today. I am not positive that was the original search or not, but now does what I want.

Jeff

kneh

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2009
solved here

One issue after upgrading to SL:

- entourage search and views did not worked anymore

solution: make sure that entourage is selected as default email-app (reselect it again)

possible other solutions: fix permissions (disk utility), rebuild entourage spotlight database (preferences, spotlight)

Littlejohns

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2009
My fix

First post...Yay!

Had the same problem as described above.

In my case it seems that a permissions fix (via disk utility) was the solution. Before that I had tried setting Entourage as default, rebuild of Spotify index via Entourage settings as described above, to no avail.

However, I can't rule out that the combination of my efforts was not the answer, so if in doubt, do everything!

Thanks all for contributing to the thread and helping me resolve my issue.

/Jeff

Berney2000

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2009
Success!

I just did the following as well... It worked like a a charm!

1. Followed Wendorff above and set my Entourage as "default"
2. Rebuild spotlight in Entourage
3. Restart my Mac
4. Restart Entourage
5. Double check Entourage as "default"

A total success!!! :D

Brittany

spiketrain

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2008
Edinburgh, Scotland
Snow to get going

Yes - I confirm. This is a winner. Found other deep technical threads discussing 64bit kernels etc. Sounded impressive - but didn't fix the problem.

I can confirm that this works. Entourage - spotlight search failing - running Snow Leopard - on Mac Pro. Now works perfectly. Phew - it was a bad one - I use this feature all day every day commerically over thousands of email, diary and contacts records. Dead without it!

Now - what about all my SERIOUS Adobe crashes? / iTunes? / Excel? / hopeless updates for Logitech mouse drivers? / Cyberduck won't even launch..... ahhh

If only I'd waited a couple of extra months!

Too slow to fix - too quick to trust!

SpikeyBoy

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
My Simple Fix

Here's what worked for me.

1. Launch System Preferences.
2. Select Privacy Tab
3. Remove any & all locations.
4. After Indexing is completed, Spotlight is now back to normal.

Not sure how/why an upgrade from Leopard to Snow Leopard would auto prevent my Spotlight from searching my entire hard drive (which was listed in my System Preferences > Privacy window). Granted, I did suffer a hard drive fail in my MacBook. Under Apple Care, I took it to the Apple Store for a same-day repair. Once home, I Backed Up from Time Machine which lead me to this posting. So it is quite possible I am an unusual case. Regardless, HTH someone.

Fujilives

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2007
Old post is old, sorry for reviving

This is the first thread to turn up on google in regards to entourage spotlight not working.

A year ago I had this problem and struggled to fix it, now, a year later I had the problem again, but forgot how I fixed it. After struggling for a bit, I remembered what I had done before.

This may not be the case for everyone, but for me, the problem wasn't because of entourage, it was because of OSX's own spotlight database. I had manually done it via terminal before (deleted old stuff and rebuilt new spotlight database), but this time I tried a little app called "Maintenance" (v 3.8 at the time of this writeup). I simply chose the rebuild spotlight index option, and ran it. A couple seconds later it gave me a notice that it had completed, then, if you click the spotlight button up on the top-right-hand-side of your mac, you'll notice it shows that the database is rebuilding. I went to lunch, came back, and it had completed.

I performed a search in entourage, and, much to my satisfaction, everything worked again.

The download link to this utility is here:
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/automator/maintenance.html

I hope this helps someone else out there, as it managed to frustrate me twice now.

cebritt

macrumors member
May 1, 2003
Austin, TX
Thank You!

Fujilives, MANY THANKS and BLESSINGS to you for your tip!!! I used that Maintenance app to rebuild my Spotlight database and my searches in Entourage are working again. No muss, no fuss, no heavy lifting. I was surprised I'd never heard of that handy Apple app.

May the time you saved me be added to your lifespan! :D

Minicube

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2011
Still no go

I'm having this problem also; tried everything listed above, including the Maintenance app, and no luck.

I'm working on a 13" MBP that originally had Lion installed (I downgraded it to Snow Leopard), and am wondering if that is part of the issue...although I don't know why that would matter. Everything else on the OS is working fine.

Minicube

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2011
block copy?

I'm thinking my next step is to do a block copy of the SL disk on which Entourage/spotlight IS working. I don't see how that could fail. Doing a standard clone (with CCC) and Migration Assistant did NOT work, i.e., Spotlight did not work afterwards.

Minicube

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2011
Great news, it worked!

OK, so downgrading a MBP early 2011 from Lion to Snow Leopard left me with an Entourage 2008 that would not use Spotlight properly for searches. I tried all the tips above and NOTHING worked. What I did get to work was re-partitioning the drive into two partitions. I then did a block copy (using CCC) from my old Powerbook (running the latest SL) to the new partition I had created on the MBP. This new partition did not contain the Recovery disk (although it still remains on the original partition).

Spotlight is now working with Entourage. I suspect the problem had something to do with the Lion Recovery disk on the original partition, even though I removed Lion and installed Snow Leopard.

I'm guessing that doing a block copy from another laptop running SL directly over the Lion partition (and wiping out the Recovery disk) would work also, but I didn't try that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.