Snow Leopard erase and install

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kenkenken, Oct 27, 2009.

1. kenkenken macrumors newbie

HELP>
    So, I am using a 13" MBP running the SL upgrade.
    CS4, safari, iphoto, and just about everything else was crashing, so after trying lots of things, I brought it to apple. They saw the same things so said they were going to replace the hard drive.
    3 days later I get a call saying they can't find anything wrong with it.
    I got it back...same issues. they suggest I do an erase and install.
    Great. The issue is the SL disk doesnt have it. So I try with the Leopard disk.
    I click restart to boot to the disk and I get the 'blue screen of death' for ever.
    I have left it for up to an hour and a half before turning it off.

So my question- Is there a way/ how do I erase and install SL upgrade? Ideas?

thanks.

2. marzy macrumors member

bluescreen of death???

Yes there is, when installing their will be a button down the bottom left hand corner that says options or custom and from their you can tell it to erase and install.

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

The Snow Leopard installer doesn't have the same "Customize -> Erase and Install" option that the Leopard installer does.

Instead you need to go to the "Utilities" menu, choose "Disk Utility" and format the disk from in there, then proceed with the rest of the Snow Leopard install.

It's a little out-of-the-way but you get the same result, a clean, fresh install of Snow Leopard.

For what it's worth, this works with the cheap upgrade disk, not just the one that comes in the box set.