Snow Leopard Exchange support - public folders?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by asdok, Jun 12, 2009.

1. asdok macrumors newbie

Can anyone confirm if Snow Leopard will allow access to Exchange Public Folders? There doesn't appear to be any trace of them or mention of them on Apple's website.

2. skp574 macrumors 6502

I would like to know this too, as they are used heavily at my work.

Also does Auto Discover mean that RPC over HTTP is supported as well?

3. asdok thread starter macrumors newbie

Rather than RPC over HTTP it uses Exchange Web Services - but for all intents and purposes, both will allow you to access your Exchange mailbox externally.

4. Dark Horse macrumors member

Dark Horse

I don't think it does let you get to public folders. At least...I couldn't find a way. For shame.

5. asdok thread starter macrumors newbie

That's a shame - a lot of companies still use public folders extensively.

Especially disappointing since the old IMAP / OWA based Exchange support in Mail DID support public folders in Exchange 2003.

It looks as though Exchange Web Services does provide the ability to access public folders, so this is purely down to Apple not implementing it:

"Public Folder Access
    In Exchange 2007 SP1, you can use the Exchange Web Services operations to access public folders. This includes the following functionality:

Access to the public folder hierarchy
    Access to detailed information about public folders
    Access to detailed information about public folder items
    The ability to post items
    The ability to synchronize public folder items
    Subscription notifications for public folders"

6. occamsrazor macrumors 6502

occamsrazor

Not supporting public folders is a major absence, they are used widely and essentially in many corporate environments. I'm also hoping for the ability to manage server-side filtering rules, like Outlook does.

7. hazoomeh macrumors member

Has anyone figured this out yet since it came out?

8. Peppy690 macrumors newbie

Any Updates on this? I really need public folder support, since I need to still rely on a windows machine to get to the public folders. Our district uses OWA mail and needs IE in order to display public folders (which is ridiculous anyway), so I can't use firefox or safari.

I would like to sever ties and soley use my macbook for email.

9. hazoomeh macrumors member

Bump again.. I HATE PUBLIC FOLDERS :mad:! You have to jump through 20 hoops to access them. Apple needs to address this with microsoft asap or the exchange support is worthless to a lot of users, including myself.

10. DELAZOUL macrumors newbie

I am not a Mac expert, but from my knowledge public folders support has been removed from the Snow Leopard mail client. One of the alternatives is to switch to Entourage 2008 Web Services Edition.

Microsoft suggested that it will support public folders for approx. 10 years from the release date of Exchange Server 2007, but you might need to wait for the realease of Outlook Mail for Mac (Next year probably?) or use Entourage instead.

Btw. the alternative to public folders is SharePoint (MOSS 2007).