Snow Leopard failed install, now I can't start my computer

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MattyCarrano, Jun 14, 2011.

1. MattyCarrano, Jun 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2011

MattyCarrano macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I have a MacBook Pro that I purchased right before Snow Leopard came out. I purchased Snow Leopard today, and the install failed miserably.

I was waiting for the install to complete, but decided to go to dinner when the estimated time went past zero and started counting into negative minutes. When I returned it said the install failed, I clicked 'retry' and then it took forever to find my HD, and when it did it said the HD couldn't be modified.

One thing led to another and I powered down the system and now I can only get to the white booting screen with the Apple logo but the status logo just keeps spinning and spinning and nothing happens.

I have my original start-up CD, but the Snow Leopard CD is in there and I can't get it out.

The only weird thing about my computer before trying to install Snow Leopard is that I had a file I couldn't delete. It was an openoffice file (tried Trash It), and figured the new OS may take care of it.

If I hold Shift+cmd+v during startup the last line says "[HCIController][configurepm] power parent ready after 1 tries disk0s2: I/O error. disk0s2: I/O error. (keeps repeating the longer it tries to boot - about 1x every 2 min)

I truly appreciate any ideas - thanks!

2. MattyCarrano thread starter macrumors newbie

Update: got snow leopard cd out by holding trackpad down, put in leopard disc while holding "c" while booting. Said it had to erase hard drive to continue, then still gave me an error message saying it can't be installed??? My hard drive is now wiped and I can't install the original software it came with.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

It sounds like your hard drive went bad. Hey, it happens.