Snow Leopard: failed installation, why?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sandman42, Aug 29, 2009.

1. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

I upgraded my Mini no problem, then I put the install disk in my MacBook and started the upgrade. All appeared normal.

Came back about an hour later, and the MacBook was asleep. Woke it, expecting to see the new login screen, but I got the old login screen. Logged in, and did not see the welcome movie or anything to indicate the new OS. Checked 'About This Mac', and it says OS 10.5.8.

Before I started the upgrade I had about 11.5GB free on my 80GB hard drive. Now I have just short of 10GB free. There is a folder on my HD titled 'Mac OS X Install Data' with a 'date modified' of today (all other folders have older dates) -- it appears to be mostly .pkg files, the biggest of which are 'Essentials.pkg' (841MB) and 'BaseSystem.pkg' (625MB).

Can anyone tell what went wrong -- why when the computer restarted it's not running 10.6? And, maybe more importantly, what should I do now? Run the installer disk again? Could it be that I didn't have enough free space on my HD?

2. sonspot macrumors member

please tell you tried again:rolleyes:, maybe it timeout, i cannt say, you know the dvd works, try again and make time for it:D

3. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I can tell you that your drive is pretty much full. That could be an issue. Try removing some unneeded files and try again.

4. sandman42 thread starter macrumors 6502a

sandman42

I started the installation again. Snow Leopard said it only needed 4.6GB to complete the installation, so if that's accurate there should be plenty of room. I'll know in about 47 mins whether it works or not. I just hope that re-running the installation doesn't foul anything up.

5. sandman42 thread starter macrumors 6502a

sandman42

Installed ok on the second try. Weird. There seem to be other threads on this now. I didn't do anything to try to 'fix' the problem, just ran the installer again and it worked.

Interestingly, now I have over 26GB free on my HD, so I gained about 16GB. This is the similar to what happened when I installed on my Mini -- got back about 16GB.

6. sonspot macrumors member

could be it removed temp files that are not needed or cache files dont know myself but it works:D

7. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

did you get the os x intro video? i didnt but i know some people who did, i dont know why everyone is getting different results..

8. Lordedmond macrumors regular

maybe its because people are upgrading, and their mac installations may not be standard , I would bet the beta testers and Apple tested on pristine systems with not user tweaks

9. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

I upgraded too, i used a retail version. maybe the dvd i got isnt good?

10. Paletero macrumors newbie

Failed to install Snow Leoperd, HELP!!!

Ok i tried to install it but it said it failed to install, so i restart it as it asked and when i tried again it didn't want to work and failed again. So i quit it and try to go to my hard drive but only to find that it only shows the apple sign, spinning loading sign and then shuts down. Can anyone help me to undersand what happen and how to fix it