Snow Leopard feels like an old friend

Discussion in 'macOS' started by farmermac, Sep 5, 2011.

1. farmermac macrumors 6502a

and I like that old friend.

Downgraded 3 machines to SL this weekend and it feels right.

I know there will be haters and this thread will get negatroned, but i don't care.

If anyone is still not really liking the Lion changes (all the messing with finder, messed up trackpad gestures, buggy graphics, mission control) than dont think twice, go back to SL. :apple:

2. logandzwon macrumors 6502a

I've found this page useful to people whom are having problems moving into the current generation. http://www.macyourself.com/2011/07/31/disable-os-x-lions-app-resume-reverse-scrolling-and-more/

3. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

Yep. Now that it's rumored that SL will handle iCloud I just might join you. I have a love/hate relationship with it.

I'm just too lazy though so in the end... that will be the only thing that keeps me on Lion. :D

4. farmermac thread starter macrumors 6502a

5. ufkdo macrumors 6502

I think Snow Leopard is the best OS ever made and still unbeaten. Maybe with future updates, Lion can beat SL, who knows :)

6. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

imac 17" 2.0...running leopard...just ordered snow leopard dvd tonight...why?

-1 gig ram on this imac and lion wants 2 (1gig runs leopard just fine...so hoping same for snow leopard)
    -i hear some older imac running lion are having increased fan noise (right now mine under leopard is very quiet)
    -i figure lion needs a few months to work out the bugs,then maybe ill give it a go

7. yongren macrumors regular

The buggy graphics are a real turn off for me. Frankly it seems below Apple's standards.

8. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

The lion installer is still sitting in my apps folder unlaunched. I'm still underwhelmed from what I've heard to give up SL quite yet

9. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

All our Macs are on either Lion (Intel) or Leopard (PPC) but as soon as I heard that SL would support iCloud I began to wonder if I moved too quickly upgrading all those machines. For one thing, I had to pry open 3 minis to add more RAM. For another thing, while I had them pried open, I popped in SSD drives. I don't regret the hardware updates which were modest cost compared to new machines but I think I could have got along with SL on those machines instead of Lion. On the "old folks" machines, I have reverse gestures switched off. I first turned it off on my wife's machine but after a while I switched it off on my machine as well. It's difficult to use windows all day at work and come home to reverse scrolling. If I ever get a Lion tablet, I'll leave reverse scrolling alone. Until then it's off.

There is one thing in Lion that is quite painful. It doesn't properly support 3rd party VNC clients on Macs with multiple displays. This is a bug I thought Apple would fix in 10.7.1 but they did not.

There is one thing I really like about Lion. With the new screen sharing, I like being able to log in and use a "virtual display" rather than disturbing the person using their computer. By the same token, I dislike having to "ask" for control of a machine so I can see their screen. There really should be some way to skip this.

Overall I see Lion as a mixed bag right now. It's not Apple's Vista as some haters have said but it is a jolt for those of us who were used to Apple's incremental updates that led up to Snow Leopard. I don't blame anybody for waiting or even for rolling back to SL. It's all about what works best for you and now that iCloud (allegedly) no longer requires Lion, take your time and upgrade when and if it's right for you.

When you do decide to upgrade, make sure you back up InstallESD.dmg before you run the installer. It's the only way to make yourself a free USB recovery key that doesn't rely on internet downloads to do an OS restore if your entire HDD goes belly up leaving the recovery partition inaccessible. Use disk utility to check InstallESD.dmg to make sure you have a good copy backed up. I had to download Lion twice because I forgot to check the integrity of my so called backup the first time.