Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NYR99

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 30, 2007
Hello all,
I am trying to clean up and arrange my iTunes music library. In iTunes when I right click on a song and click "get info", then change some info, it doesn't stick. It goes right back to what I already had in there before.

I then realized that this is because every file inside my iTunes music folder is set for "read only" and not "read & write". So after I change it to "read & write" all changes I make in iTunes will take.

However, I have a lot of music and therefore a lot of files inside my iTunes music folder. Going into each and every folder to change its permission to "read & write" would be tedious and time consuming, not to mention extremely annoying.

Is there any way I can change that permission for every file on my iMac via one or two clicks? Like is there a system wide option for this?

Thanks!:apple:

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
If your music is stored in the default location it should be in /User/Name/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/

There is a folder called Music. Right-click it and click Get Into.

Fix the permissions however you like, then press the gear under the Permissions list and click "apply to enclosed items."

NYR99

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 30, 2007
Thank you so much. That has been bothering me for months!

Thanks for the quick reply!

Guiyon

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2008
Cambridge, MA
Is there any way I can change that permission for every file on my iMac via one or two clicks? Like is there a system wide option for this?

A word to the wise: Do not do this! It will work fine for anything in your home folder but once you start mucking around with the permissions in the rest of the system you will most likely break something and will probably end up not being able to boot the system.

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
Yeah, I'd keep my hands off of anything outside my Home folder or anything I can't identify, for that matter :p

NYR99

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 30, 2007
Ya, I pretty much meant just everything in my user folder.

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
Hahaha, how about you just check out my Youtube channel. Senorchito ;)

Thanks, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.