Snow Leopard Finder: Applications Folder

Discussion in 'macOS' started by groundstrike, Aug 28, 2009.

1. groundstrike macrumors newbie

Snow Leopard Finder calculates the Size for each application under the Applications folder. With a lot of apps this kind of slows your browsing down a bit. I didn't recall Leopard doing this, but I could not check after the upgrade. So I checked on my 10.4.x laptop and it never calculates the sizes in the Applications folder, instead listing all like a folder "--". Is there a way to tell SL to not calculate the sizes?

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

meh, it will probably only be slow the first time. After that it will all be indexed.

3. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

If you have too much trouble with it, you could just turn off the size column in Finder. Command + J or View --> Options. When you uncheck size, be sure to click the button "Use as Defaults."

Presumably if you don't ask to see, it won't calculate it.

4. groundstrike thread starter macrumors newbie

It is indexed and not calculated again until you reboot then it calculates upon first view again.

5. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

In Leopard and Tiger, you can choose Show View Options from the contextual menu. There's an option, even in the App folder, to "Calculate All Sizes." Can you uncheck that option?

mt (SL is still in its shrink-wrapped package; I'll install later)

6. groundstrike thread starter macrumors newbie

The option is unchecked by default and the behavior is to calculate Application sizes. Checking the option just has it also calculate the size of folders.