Snow Leopard + Firefox 3.5.2

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sfwalter, Aug 28, 2009.

1. sfwalter macrumors 68000

sfwalter

I did my upgrade to Snow Leopard and Firefox 3.5.2 crashes alot! I have reinstalled Firefox as well as deleted the preference file with no luck.

Has anyone else noticed Firefox crashing alot since upgrading? Any ideas on how to resolve it?

Thanks, Scott.

2. PhightinPhils26 macrumors 6502a

PhightinPhils26

I did a clean install of SL and I Firefox has yet to crash.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

No crashes on me. First time I'm running Firefox as my main browser in OS X, because there's no working adblocker for 64-bit Safari yet.

Do you have many plug-ins?

4. sfwalter thread starter macrumors 68000

sfwalter

5. Code001 macrumors member

I did the upgrade this time around, and I haven't experienced any crashing issues with Firefox 3.5.2 (yet).

6. P Mentior macrumors regular

A similar thing happened to me as well. After upgrading I have noticed that almost everytime that I click the Help tab Firefox will crash. I reinstalled and that fixed it for a time but it just did it again while I was typing this. Hopefully this will be fixed soon.

7. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

Nice and stable, but I run only a handful of add-ons.

8. evans.900 macrumors newbie

Has anyone else noticed when they just type in a word in the url box, it takes a long time for it to load the first time. For example, if i want to go to www.espn.com, in Leopard I would just type espn and hit enter, however in Snow Leopard it just sits there for half a minute before the site appears. However after the first time of doing that, if i just type in espn, it comes right up. It is doing this for all sites, not just espn, on a clean installation of Snow Leopard.

9. sfwalter thread starter macrumors 68000

sfwalter

Ok FireFox 3.5.2 is no longer crashing for me. I deleted the preference file from ~/Library/Preferences and the Firefox and Mozilla directories from ~/Library/Application Support.

Once I knew FireFox was stable I reinstalled my extensions and no problemo. I am using FireFox right now.

Hope this helps

10. macpwned macrumors newbie

this was happening to me, i uninstalled firefox and all the support files and reinstalled it...still no luck.

i disabled Hazel and Growl and irefox doesnt crash anymore.

11. w0by macrumors regular

Snow Leopard

I noticed that Firefox and Safari crash a lot more now that I have upgraded to Snow Leopard.

12. macintoshtoffy macrumors 6502a

macintoshtoffy

And all of that could have been avoided had you done a CLEAN INSTALL!

13. zaphon macrumors regular

zaphon

When I launch Firefox 3.5.2 on my machines I have upgraded to Snow Leopard (I've tried 3 different machines), it doesn't show up on the foreground. I have to click the window (or tab to it) to make it foreground. This worked fine on 10.5.8, but under 10.6.0 it doesn't come up on top. Even if there are no other windows up, it still doesn't receive focus. And if there is other windows open, it shows up behind them.

14. erikistired macrumors 6502

erikistired

firefox was crapping out on me before SL, and it hasn't changed (with a clean install). too bad, i was hoping.

15. MikeMayer macrumors newbie

MikeMayer

I actually have found Firefox 3.5.2 to be more stable on Snow Leopard than it was on Leopard.

Stable meaning it starts up quicker, closes quicker, runs generally more smoothly, and during my normal routine of web browsing I've experienced no crashes.

This is not to say that it never worked "perfectly" on Leopard... it just seems to work a bit better than before. Kinda the running theme with the Leopard -> Snow Leopard for me so far.

16. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

Firefox 3.5.2 works fine for me.

The only problem that I had was that I did a fresh install and Safari wouldn't let me download it.

I ended up opening Terminal and downloading by FTP'ing into Mozilla's server

17. tplatt macrumors newbie

FireFox 3.5.2 working fine for me on an Tiger upgrade and a Leopard upgrade.

18. gsady macrumors newbie

disable growl in system preferences

I discovered elsewhere on this site that growl and firefox have issues running together. I disabled growl and firefox works normally again. Unfortunately, I don't know how to fix the issue so they can both work again.

GS

19. stu3ufc macrumors member

firefox 3.0 was perfect then they update to 3.5 and it sucks!!! foto fox crashes

firefox crashes more than it did!

20. CunningWard macrumors member

CunningWard

Crashing

I've been getting about 3-4 crashes a day.:(

21. gaz617 macrumors member

Try Glimmerblocker for safari

22. ir0n macrumors newbie

Clean install here ( SL 10A432 ) 32 bit kernel on MacBok 2.4 unibody. Its not crashing during work but if I wanna close the browser I can just click on Help and it crash. Its like one click close feature in FireFox now - lol :D

23. lizit macrumors newbie

Same story - Firefox 3.5.2 unstable and crashing if I try to paste, if I go to Help, more or less anything other than browsing leads to a crash

24. raybo macrumors regular

FF sometimes crashes when returning from sleep. Get beachball occasionally. It worked better with Leopard.

25. Jasoco macrumors 6502

I did an upgrade of SL and Firefox has yet to crash.

I get the Help menu problem too. I've submitted bug reports many times. I just trained myself to never touch it. I mean, I never use Help anyway. Not even with the Help Search box.