Snow Leopard - Firefox and Safari keep crashing

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nullx86, Oct 3, 2009.

1. nullx86 macrumors 6502a

nullx86

Ok, so I had one Firefox window with a few tabs open, and i wasnt doing anything intensive (no flash no nothing), and only had Adium and iTunes open in the background. I opened a new tab (my User CP on MacRumors oddly enough) and I got a beachball. So I forced quit and repeated the process to see if it would happen again. It did. So I tried Safari 4. Same thing, except it crashed on two windows with one tab each. This has never happened in leopard, and has been happening quite often in Snow Leopard, so what should I do? I was thinking about backing up my stuff, then restoring using my 10.5.6 restore disk. But how does that all work? Im still new to OS X on some things. So any thoughts here? I want some real thoughts and arguments on this, not just "leopard sucks!11! SL ftw lolz!!11eleven!". Thanks!

2. JC86 macrumors newbie

Crashes with Safari and Firefox and… on Snow Leopard

Same here, ever since I switched to SL. This had never happened to me before on Panther, Tiger or Leopard. Now it happens regularly, with Firefox, Safari, Graphic Converter, Adobe Photop Elements... All linked to downloading or playing around with images. The frame disappears and I get a crash message. It seems that the machine is working too fast (and work fast it does!) and suddenly skids on a banana peel...
    I browsed all kinds of sites, nothing has been suggested to solve the problem. I used TechToolPro 5 (5.0.6 , newest version) to check my MacBook Pro and perform optimization, I repaired permissions... nothing doing. I called Apple: they made me trash all plists related to the programs concerned in Preferences ... no luck.
    Does anybody out there know what to do, pleeaaase!:confused:
    Thanks
    JC
    PS see matts1501 for the same problem

3. nullx86 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nullx86

same here, its mostly high res images and flash-based ads in firefox and safari... nothing else has been really bad, though finder has been a bit unresponsive after sleep. I got half a mind to go back to Leopard cause of it.