Snow Leopard for Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Mareshalu, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Mareshalu macrumors newbie

I just got Snow Leopard installed on my MBP and I was wondering if I could sell the Leopard disk on ebay or I cannot since I had it installed on my mac?
    Sorry newb mac user here. :confused:

2. eezing macrumors 6502

eezing

If you purchased the SL upgrade then you may want to hang onto your leopard disc as there may be some circumstances where you need it.

3. Mareshalu thread starter macrumors newbie

So the SL disk is just an upgrade disk not a full operating system?

4. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Don't worry. You can do a clean install of Snow Leopard, you don't have to preinstall Leopard and then 'upgrade'. I've done it myself.

5. cubedweller macrumors 6502

Legally speaking you need to own and retain the Leopard disk to be using the $29 Snow Leopard disk. Technically speaking you'll probably never end up using the Leopard disk again as the $29 Snow Leopard disk contains a full retail copy of OS X :)

6. I3eXa macrumors 6502

correct. Think of it as if you had windows xp with service pack 2 installed, this would basically be a cd of windows xp sp3...

7. Mareshalu thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much guys, can the Leopard disk be sold or it has no value now? I see some on ebay for sale.

8. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

It would be illegal. By installing the OS on your computer you've copied the operating system from the installer disc on to the hard drive inside your computer. If you then sell the copy of the OS on the installer disc then you're selling a duplicated pirated copy. You almost certainly won't get caught, but this is the answer to your question of can you do it.

More directly, for your own self interest you definitely are gonna want to hang onto that disc. Every now and then there will inevitably arise a situation where your hard drive gets corrupted, and you will absolutely need the installer disc to run the repair utilities.