Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

revelated

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
Starting to irritate me. Here's the deal.

I have an Airport running in 5GHz 802.11n. The SSID is hidden. Up until now I've been able to connect to it without issue. Recently though, I'm finding issues.

I have three computers connected to the Airport. Of the three, only my MacBook Pro seems to conveniently "forget" the SSID and won't connect to it automatically anymore. If I manually re-enter the SSID it will connect fine, but it won't stick. The moment I leave the house with it, or it hibernates, it won't re-connect. The iMac connects fine, the Air connects fine. It's only the Pro that is having this issue.

Now, the Pro is the oldest of the computers, bought in July of last year, for what it's worth. Up until now I've never had it happen this frequently.

Any ideas? I know this is an ongoing problem with Snow Leopard, but I'd really like to get a resolution. It's not the Airport, because the same thing happened with another router, plus the other computers connect fine.

matspekkie

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2010
First off there was some kind of odd dhcp issue with airport extreme prior firmware 7.5.2 wich could introduce this problem. update the firmware if it is @ the latest. Second wich solved a similar problem for me is go to your keychain "Applications/Utilities/Keychain access" find the Airport networkpassword (the accesspoint where you have trouble with, there could be a few of them) and delete them. Now you have to join the accesspoint once more with the correct ssid+password and things should work again.

hope this helps.

revelated

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
First off there was some kind of odd dhcp issue with airport extreme prior firmware 7.5.2 wich could introduce this problem. update the firmware if it is @ the latest.

As I mentioned, it's not the router. A Belkin N+ did the same thing on this Pro. It's the MacBook for sure.

Second wich solved a similar problem for me is go to your keychain "Applications/Utilities/Keychain access" find the Airport networkpassword (the accesspoint where you have trouble with, there could be a few of them) and delete them. Now you have to join the accesspoint once more with the correct ssid+password and things should work again.

Not the issue either.

More info:

If I don't hide the SSID, it works fine. That's annoying though. I prefer to hide my SSID regardless of whether it does or does not aid in security.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.