Snow Leopard Free Upgrade?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MBX, May 18, 2009.

1. MBX macrumors 65816

What do you think will Snow Leopard be a free upgrade to existing Leopard users? I can't imagine Apple charging full price on backbone improvements that i personally regard more as a "service pack".

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Chances are that they will charge the normal rate of £119 (I think).

Have you MRoogle'd there are hundreds of post's.

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Your personal regard doesn't matter. It's a new OS so it will cost the same price as any other Apple OS.

4. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

My guess is that Snow Leopard will be $129. There's no reason for this to be a free upgrade since there are extensive changes to the OS under the hood.

5. MikhailT macrumors 601

We don't even know the full story of what SL will bring. You can say the same thing about W7, it should be a service park instead of a new OS.

SL does have a lot of minor new features, it just isn't major compared to what Leopard bought us such as Time Machine, Stacks and so on.

And this has been debated for months in hundreds of threads, you should have search this in the forums.

6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I understand your logic; I personally feel as if this OS should be offered at a discounted rate for Leopard users, say $69.

However, I'm quite certain that we can expect to pay the normal price: $129.

7. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

There are a few threads on this. Search :)

Try this for starters

8. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I could see $99. But I don't expect it.

9. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

If you don't regard it as worth $129, I wouldn't buy it.

10. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

Why should we pay the full price of 129 for backbone stuff that we expect to be in there more or less anyway? A lot of these things are something that could be updates for 10.5.8 or 10.5.9

I see it more like either free upgrade to existing Leopard users or not more than $29 for existing leopard users.

11. ethical macrumors 68000

i completely agree! when you pay for a new OS you expect to see a change that you can be excited about and explore... not just faster load times in the background.

12. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    It's a complete re-write, not a service upgrade.

But like Sky Blue just said, if you don't like it, don't buy it.

13. emt1 macrumors 65816

Then you probably shouldn't buy it when it comes out, huh?

14. nick9191 macrumors 68040

15. MikhailT macrumors 601

Grand Central, OpenCL, pure 64bit kernel in a minor update? You're joking right?

16. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

UK price is £89 for single user license

17. nick9191 macrumors 68040

In fact I don't know which is stranger.

The fact that you put a price on something that has not been demoed yet, or the fact that you think that Snow Leopard could be delivered in a point update.

$129 + tax. If you don't want to pay it, don't buy it, Leopard will not magically stop functioning.

18. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Dont bother with the normees, if there isnt something shiny to play with its not a worthy upgrade.

19. ethical macrumors 68000

:D you rang?

20. MikhailT macrumors 601

Yea i know, I am just wondering what "most of the things" he keep saying that could be in a minor update.

Nobody knows what the final feature set will be in SL, for all we know, Apple could have an improved GUI in SL. (Improved, they would be not doing a brand new GUI from scratch like Vista is to XP)

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

It doesnt matter, he clearly has no idea what SL is anyway. He sees it as a service pack when its a complete rewrite. Lucky for him Apple will most likely include the rumored marble interface so he has a new shiny plaything to spend his money on.

22. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

You have to remember that the average user doesn't know what those are, nor will they even realize when or if they actually use such features. So because the major changes are under the hood, it gives the appearance of minor fixes or updates, when in reality they're actually quite noteworthy.

23. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

If the user doesn't notice, in some way, on initial or early use, the difference between 10.5 and 10.6 then GCD/OpenCL/64bit goodness won't have been a resounding success.

The user doesn't have to know how, just whether there is a difference, and where - "Oooh, that's different/pretty/new/faster"

Apple can market it - e.g. Apple's converting to Intel ad, with Kiefer Sutherland doing voiceover a Moby soundtrack ('God moving over the face of the waters' track)

Apple could easily go with something like this again too.

24. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

They're really not. It's a huge update under the hood. Plus Apple has to license Exchange support from MS, which is a big plus for Macs in the Enterprise.

25. carlosbutler macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler

i am pretty sure that users will notice a difference. there are actually a few visual differences, but the 're-write' of the OS will make things not only run a lot faster, but take full advantage of all not only all CPU's in the system, but GPU when developers release their updates for current software